A question about breadboard wiring

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ole Jason, Jul 9, 2005.

1. I'm going to start tinkering with a few simple schematics and I figure the best way to do it is to practice on some breadboard. I've got a bunch of stuff bookmarked and am slowly working my way through it but sometimes I see people mention that you don't need to solder on breadboard but then sometimes I see examples where it has been soldered.

If you don't solder it how do you keep the connections intact between the different components? If you run lead wire how do you connect it to each component without solder?

Also, is it safe to run a schematic from breadboard so I can hear what it sounds like? I'm talking about simple fuzz or boost pedals, no high voltage tube pedals or anything.
  2. After further reading I see that the copper on the underside of the board can be used to make connections as long as both components are in the same node. The tutorial I'm on mentions using jumper wires for components on separate nodes. Any tips are appreciated, this is all pretty new to me.
  3. do you have a breadboard yet? once you do it all becomes a bit more clear.

you are gonna have to solder a bit because you can only push wire and component legs into the board, for such parts as jacks (input and outputs) you'll have to solder on flying leads.

you should be fine using breadboard to mock up effects i know i've done it before and it worked alright... they might not sound all that great though, i found the stability of a pcb helped out the sound a lot.

i don't have a lot of experience making effects, it always seemed to be fairly expensive in the end but if you have any questions about breadboard or practical aspects feel free to pm me, i'm an electronic engineering student so i'm supposed to understand these things quite well by now! haha

good luck!
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're confusing breadboard and perfboard. Perfboard is the tiny circuit board with the holes and the copper on the bottom, breadboard is a tool used to "plug in" parts and connect them to test simple circuits.
  5. Alligator clips work well for what you're talking about. You can clip them on one end of the component and then on wherever you want to connect it to. As far as connecting wires and things, just put them through the board and twist them together, that should be good enough for testing purposes. If you're careful with it, you may be able to just twist the wires onto the legs of capacitors or whatever you're connecting, but they will come off easily.
  6. Thanks for the tips guys I think I'm getting a better idea of things now. If only Radio Shack actually had all the parts I need...

Hey Meyekul I checked out your website, cool seeing someone so local to me on here. I live in Richmond now but I'm from Knott Co. near Hazard.
  7. Hey that's cool, there are a couple of us Kentuckians here on TB. I go to Hazard for my job sometimes (I'm a IT technician). My band used to play sometimes at MF Hooligans in Richmond before they closed it down. That was a really fun place to play. :bawl:

I added you to my AIM list, we'll chat sometime :)