1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question about bridging a power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Apr 23, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    My band is currently looking into getting a power amp and a set of PA speakers - some places here don't offer PA systems and we can't afford to rent one every week. Better to invest and get our own set up! Anyways, I don't fully understand how you bridge an amp and when would you do it?? If we wanna power two PA speakers for instance, could we use the "bridge mono" feature to get maximum power from the power amp??

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    IF the amp is bridgeable, you generally take the hot signal from each side and use them as your speaker out.

You would use it whenever you wanted the most power at the minimum rated load.

EG: Let's say that you typically run your power amp in stereo because you like the mix better that way. And let's say that you use one 8ohm cab per side for a total of 260w per side out of your amp.

Then one day you get a gig in a really big room or outside.

So you bridge your amp and run your cabs in mono at 4ohms. For a total of 1400w instead of 520w.

Luckily your speakers are rated for 800w apiece.

Bridging is cool.

Yup.

BTW, the specs I gave you are from the QSC website for an RMX1450.

Click here.

:D

Joe.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    awesome :) Thanks for the help/link joe