Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question about cabs....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 21, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

As you can see in my profile, I own a Yorkville 400B bass amp with a 15" cab. This is a combo.

My amp is rated 400w at 4ohms, and now I´m looking into the possibility of a new amp rack.
    I´m tired of this combo, and I´m going to (sometime in the future) take the amp out of the combo, and have myself a 1x15" and 2x10" or 4x10". Then put the amp in a rack with a tuner, maybe a power conditioner etc.

This means that I will be looking for 8ohm cabs. My question is, how many watts will the cabs have to be in order to be safe?
    200?300?400? more?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    As long as you don't push the cabs, it doesn't matter how many watts you give them. My power amp puts out 900 watts into 8ohms, and I put it through my Aguilar GS210. You get a ton of headroom, and a very clean sound.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Assuming you don't have a crossover, then each cab will take 200 watts out of your power amp. As long as you don't push them - as Ajbassking said - they'll be ok. Now, as your 1 x 15 can probably take the best part of 400 watts, you might want to do the same for whatever other cab you get. Keeps things nice and even.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the replies, that was exactly what I was looking for. :)