1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question about endpins

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Norre, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hello,

How can you determine if an endpin is a good one or just a piece of junk?
    Is there much of a difference between endpins?
    Also, does a good endpin help you to get a better sound?
    Sometimes when I play my bass it makes a strange sound. When I loosen the endpin, turn it and tighten it back again everything is back OK.
    My luthier told me that it would be good for me to change the endpin to a higher quality endpin.
    Does this sound familiar to you guys ?
    Thx,

KN

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    The endpin on my bass was crappy this way:
    - It was too thin (8mm steel rod). I had it pulled out maybe 20-22cm, and the bass swayed.
    - The locking mechanism was too weak, so if I leaned slightly on the bass it would suddenly slip down, even if I had tightened it as hard as I could.
    So I replaced it. The new endpin is a thick (18-20mm) aluminium tube, no grooves, with a solid locking mechanism. Screw-on rubber tip. Works great, no problems anymore. Cost about $70.
    My other bass has a Goetz endpin, 10mm steel rod with grooves (3-4cm increment). This one also works fine - very solid.

I think I have read something about weak/flexing endpins absorbing vibrations, and thus reducing the bass' volume. I didn't notice any change in the sound in my case, though...

The noise you keep getting is probably your endpin vibrating inside its collar.

By the way, I installed the endpin myself. The old tapered hole was too small, so I had to expand it with a reamer. A reamer is expensive, so I borrowed one from the shop where I bought the endpin. The whole job took less than an hour.

3. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hey Eric,

I recognize some of the problems you had.

Sometimes when I play the endpin also suddenly slips down. My endpin is also about 8mm (and also a steel rod).
    Well ... I think it's time to replace that sucker !!

Thanks for the info,

KN