A question about endpins

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Norre, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium

How can you determine if an endpin is a good one or just a piece of junk?
    Is there much of a difference between endpins?
    Also, does a good endpin help you to get a better sound?
    Sometimes when I play my bass it makes a strange sound. When I loosen the endpin, turn it and tighten it back again everything is back OK.
    My luthier told me that it would be good for me to change the endpin to a higher quality endpin.
    Does this sound familiar to you guys ?

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    The endpin on my bass was crappy this way:
    - It was too thin (8mm steel rod). I had it pulled out maybe 20-22cm, and the bass swayed.
    - The locking mechanism was too weak, so if I leaned slightly on the bass it would suddenly slip down, even if I had tightened it as hard as I could.
    So I replaced it. The new endpin is a thick (18-20mm) aluminium tube, no grooves, with a solid locking mechanism. Screw-on rubber tip. Works great, no problems anymore. Cost about $70.
    My other bass has a Goetz endpin, 10mm steel rod with grooves (3-4cm increment). This one also works fine - very solid.

I think I have read something about weak/flexing endpins absorbing vibrations, and thus reducing the bass' volume. I didn't notice any change in the sound in my case, though...

The noise you keep getting is probably your endpin vibrating inside its collar.

By the way, I installed the endpin myself. The old tapered hole was too small, so I had to expand it with a reamer. A reamer is expensive, so I borrowed one from the shop where I bought the endpin. The whole job took less than an hour.
  3. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hey Eric,

I recognize some of the problems you had.

Sometimes when I play the endpin also suddenly slips down. My endpin is also about 8mm (and also a steel rod).
    Well ... I think it's time to replace that sucker !!

Thanks for the info,