1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question about Fender headstocks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chandler Bing, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Ive noticed some Fenders have smaller headstocks than others. My Precision has what I thought was a normal Fender headstock (same size as my Squires), but my buddys jazz has a much smaller one. Going to GC (or wherever) has proved the same when looking at different Fender basses. What gives?
    On a side note, some also have different logo fonts...the older "thin" or spaghetti style (usually in a chrome type finish), and the other larger solid color or two tone. Again, what gives? TIA

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Nice to see another Memphian on here!

I've generally found that most are roughly the same size, but I have seen some of the overseas models that had smaller headstocks. Out of the 4 Fenders I currently own, all of them generally have the same size headstock......the '76 P might be a little larger but hardly noticable unless you are specifically looking for it.

The different fonts often reflect the years that it was assembled and/or the location it was assembled...........US, Japan, etc.

3. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    hmm..

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    just sent you a PM

5. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Anyone else? If I knew how to post pics, I'd do so showing. I know Im not imagining it..........am I?

6. Fender's American Deluxes have smaller headstocks.

EDIT: As for the logos, P's from 1950 till now mostly have the spaghetti (thin) logo, besides Mexicans (standards) which have the silver transition (fat) logo. Jazz basses from 60-~70 had the transition logo, followed by the black (TV, same as transition but black) logo. Nowadays they come with spaghetti logos (American, American Deluxe, Mexican Deluxe, etc) or fat logos.

7. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Ok thanks, Ive been courious. I love the look of the smaller headstock with a chrome style spaghetti logo....very classy look.:)

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    P basses had the thick black 'TV' Logos, too, from '68 to the mid '70s.

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

1976 Precision
    Fender-7.gif
    fender-7.gif 2005 Precision
    new-14.gif
    2000 Jazz
    2000-6.gif
    :D

10. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Back to the first poster's question regarding headstock size:

The original P bass had the "tele" head from 1954-56. In 57 the "common" headstock we now know was introduced to reduce dead spots. While the decal has changed the basic headstock has remained consistant (the shape is even patented which is why now knock-offs can be identical in all ways but they have a different headstock).

The exception on size was in the early 90s, the headstock on the Jazz was reduced to give it a more "modern" look. Fender's marketshare was being erroded and they tried little style changes to attract younger players (hence the dreaded PJ 90). They finally came to their senses and returned to the classic styling that had served them so well. Probably motivated by people shunning new basses in favor of vintage instruments.

I have seen the smaller headstock on a couple of recent releases such as several "deluxe" models but pretty much all the new Fenders have the '57 headstock.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not sure if I'd qualify my JP90 as "dreaded" but yes it does have a slightly smaller overall headstock size, but remains proportional. Truth is I only noticed the headstock size discrepancy a couple of weeks ago despite owning it and my MIA for a few years now. It's easy to spot if they're side by side but if you keep them in separate rooms you may never notice.

12. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Sorry, man. Didn't mean to dis your axe.

The most dramatic examples of what I'm talking about were the "Plus" models (they made a P and a J) from 90-94. I couldn't find any pics online but I'm looking at "the Fender Bass: an Illustrated History", Black and Molinaro.

13. You got me. I have a 73 J with that very logo and I just didn't think about it at the time of my post. :ninja:

p.jpg

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I love those TV logos, as much as the earlier ones.

15. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I thought the small ones were called Strats.

16. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Squier's are different again. Anyone noticed the Vintage Modified headstock? The E tuner is miles away from the nut and I guess the machine head spacing is different. Example:

[​IMG]

Chandler Bing: If you would like to know how to post pics, just click the "Quote" button on any post containing a pic (such as this one) and look at the formatting. It uses IMG tags. You can upload your image to some host like www.imageshack.us or just click the "Manage Attachments" button and upload pics directly from your computer when making a post.

17. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    thanx dee.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021