Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question about Flash

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rockgurl, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I'm using a flash template for a website, and although I'm very familiar with HTML I'm not that familiar with Flash. The template is a flash template and has animation and music. I have Dreamweaver and Flash but I'm new to both. What I need to know is how can I change the music in a flash intro or template? It comes with music but I want to change the file out and put my own music up there instead. Can anyone help? Is the music embedded in the flash video or is it seperately editable?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The music is probably imbedded in the FLA file. Find the layer that contains the music (it will look like in contains a soundwave form which it does) highlight that layer, and go to the bottom of the FLASH program screen to the properites editor. Down there you will find a dropdown box labed "sound".
    You'll have to "import to library" your *wav file which should now appear in the dropdown. You'll have to edit your soundclip to the proper length of time so it plays during the part of the flash movie that you want it to play.

Good luck
    Slug

3. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    slugworth...you are a star and a gentleman! Thank you so much! :D

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> This is true....However it's mostly as a result of attending both the Microsoft and Macromedia schools of "hard knocks".... :eek:

good luck

Slug

5. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    I would reccomend putting a site just with HTML, or alternate text, because you know there will be that one guy who wants to look at your web site, but can't becuase he does not have Flash

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Or you can put a link to Macromedia's site to download
    FLASH, it's free to download the program; everybody is using Flash these days..

Slug

7. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Eh, I beg to differ. Flash, while it can be a cool and hip additive to a website, as a Linux user I find it to be more of a hinderance than anything. Yes, there is a Flash player for Linux, but it hogs system resources and will crash an otherwise-stable browser (firefox) without provocation. Also, 95% of Flash sites that I've personally gone to tend to suck, template based or not. Like salt and pepper on a good steak, it's good only in extreme moderation and it doesn't take much to ruin it. IMO, have a Flash intro, but have it lead into an HTML-based website (preferably with a minimum of java/javascript/activex and whathaveyou) But that's just my $0.02

Best of luck!

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Firefox has an extension to kill Flash content, which I find very useful. You can then enable individual panes as you see fit.

Just my .02 as a dialup slave, but I'll skip a site that's flash-heavy unless I'm sure there's something there that I want to see. I hate it when I encounter a blind Flash intro on the start page before anything else happens. At least let me know I arrived at the right site before you saddle me with a long download, eh?

9. Happy One Thousand Passinwind!

The Flash?

Red Spandex.