1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question about fuzz placement.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 1nterest1ng, Dec 1, 2018.

1. 1nterest1ng

1nterest1ng

Apr 9, 2018
    Australia
    It's likely that many people have asked this question before, but how is one able to tell if a fuzz pedal can be placed anywhere in the chain without strange electronics issues I've heard about? I know a Big Muff can generally go anywhere in the chain, but what is it that determines if a pedal can?

2. in my opinion fuzz pedal work perfectly next others effects which need clean tone to work well (envelope, compression octaver...) and before reverb and delay pedal (not sure for the tremolo)
    You can determines if a pedal wokk with some experimentations , sometime a fuzz pedal is too noisy for the next effect in the chain.

3. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Your ears.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Some fuzz pedals require an unbuffered signal to work properly. Such pedals can't be placed after pedals with a buffered bypass in your signal chain.

jbybj likes this.
  5. I like mine after the Octave pedal if you use one, if you do not have a Octave pedal I like it first, I don't like my effects distorted, but your the one that has to be happy. But don't ask a guitar player they will twang you a long

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I believe this is what the OP is referring to. Vintage fuzz circuits didn’t know a buffer from a glazed donut. I have a number of fuzzes that technically “work” after a buffer, but sound much better being fed by an unbufferred signal. (It’s about impedance I’m pretty sure).
    I don’t possess the know how to predict what will require an unbufferred signal, but if you are buying something currently in production, the maker should be able to advise you.
    Any original Fuzz Face circuit I’ve used prefers unbufferred.

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Is there a particular Fuzz pedal you're wondering about or do you just want to know in general?

As some have mentioned there are some circuits that are sensitive to input impedance which would work best early or first in the chain but if that's not the case then as some other have mentioned you just have to experiment to find the right tones you're after.

8. 1nterest1ng

1nterest1ng

Apr 9, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks! I'll be sure to check with the manufacturer next time I'm getting one.

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Most dirt pedals I have sound different with a buffer before them or a clean unbuffered signal.

Now some sound drastically different, some dip into crazy feedback and some just have a bit more gain/grunt.

The only way to know is to try it out.

10. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    IME most older fuzz circuits are designed to be ran right after an instrument so they tend to be the most responsive that way, while a lot of newer pedals (even modded clones of vintage ones) work alright wherever.

So with a fuzz face putting it first will probably be best, while many of the newer boutique fuzz pedals will sound good wherever. But it also depends on the other pedals, it's always worth experimenting IME.

11. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Some fuzzes also invert phase, so that is a thing to look out for. For instance, I remember getting a super dead signal from a SGFX Beta into a B:Assmaster. Some pedals like the TAFM have phase switches to help with this, but not many do.

12. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    My fuzz sounds best right at the beginning of the chain.