A question about grounding...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lo-end, Jul 31, 2001.

1. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I am wondering why some basses are grounded with the ground wire screwed into the control cavity while others have the wire running to the bridge? Mine has the wire going to the bridge.

Why are there 2 different ways of doing this and which one is better? How do they work?
  2. They're supposed to both give the same result - everthing tied together electrically.

Cost, labor, sound, companies sit around and decide which is more important to them.

They all work pretty good. Some have more pronouced opinions on what is right and wrong about this grounding stuff. I don't.

3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Bridge-ground instruments tend to hum whenever you're near an RF source and you aren't touching the strings. Also, a cavity-ground instrument (ideally) uses the output jack and whatever it's attached to as a ground, whereas a bridge-ground instrument uses your body as the ground. Just two things to ponder.
  4. I'm not so sure I think that way. I think your strings are always supposed to be grounded to the jack shield. Something's wrong if they're not. Definitely the electrical ground of the guitar is always the signal ground of the amp (I don't know of any amps that use isolation transformers like PA systems sometimes do). In most cases, that's also the chassis earth ground of the amp. In some newer amps, signal ground is tied to chassis through a 10 ohm resistor or something.

I still think the best (maybe only) way to do it is to tie the bridge to the input jack ground. The solid connection from jack-shield to bridge, and solid connection from jack-shield to pickup common is all that really matters. Everything else is gravy. :D

5. "Some have more pronouced opinions on what is right and wrong about this grounding stuff. I don't.

Actually, I guess I do have a pronounced opinion on this stuff. :rolleyes: :D