Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question about Impedence

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I was looking at an SWR that is 400 watts at 4 ohms. I wanted an 8 ohm originally because I heard that they are safer. Does the impedence really matter if you're not playing at full volume? This is a half stack deal, so am I safe just trusting the offer? Or am I better buying an 8 ohm system at a few hundred more?

2. SWR heads run hot, but they're designed to and I haven't heard a lot of problems with them shutting down. There's nothing inherently unsafe about running an amp at 4ohms that was designed to run at 4ohms. I think you'd be fine.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Probably the 4004, a decent amp, no problem there

[/QUOTE] I wanted an 8 ohm originally because I heard that they are safer.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear this? The 4004 or other amp will run at 8ohms just fine, you will get about 340 watts.

[/QUOTE] Does the impedence really matter if you're not playing at full volume? [/QUOTE]

The impedance only matters when you try to exceed the rating of your amp with the cab(s).

[/QUOTE] This is a half stack deal, so am I safe just trusting the offer? [/QUOTE]

Depends on who you are buying it from.

[/QUOTE] Or am I better buying an 8 ohm system at a few hundred more? [/QUOTE]

Who told you that? That does not make sense.

Do a search here on ohm and impedance, and read the amp FAQ, and this will start to make more sense to you. Good luck.