1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question about Impedence

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I was looking at an SWR that is 400 watts at 4 ohms. I wanted an 8 ohm originally because I heard that they are safer. Does the impedence really matter if you're not playing at full volume? This is a half stack deal, so am I safe just trusting the offer? Or am I better buying an 8 ohm system at a few hundred more?

2. SWR heads run hot, but they're designed to and I haven't heard a lot of problems with them shutting down. There's nothing inherently unsafe about running an amp at 4ohms that was designed to run at 4ohms. I think you'd be fine.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Probably the 4004, a decent amp, no problem there

[/QUOTE] I wanted an 8 ohm originally because I heard that they are safer.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear this? The 4004 or other amp will run at 8ohms just fine, you will get about 340 watts.

[/QUOTE] Does the impedence really matter if you're not playing at full volume? [/QUOTE]

The impedance only matters when you try to exceed the rating of your amp with the cab(s).

[/QUOTE] This is a half stack deal, so am I safe just trusting the offer? [/QUOTE]

Depends on who you are buying it from.

[/QUOTE] Or am I better buying an 8 ohm system at a few hundred more? [/QUOTE]

Who told you that? That does not make sense.

Do a search here on ohm and impedance, and read the amp FAQ, and this will start to make more sense to you. Good luck.