1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question about measurements!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Paul Nugent, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Paul Nugent

Paul Nugent

Aug 17, 2004
    Hi, I'm looking to build a replica of a Peavy Cirrus for my first bass but I don't have any measurements to build from! :bawl: I looked around but couldn't find any either... I made a drawing from a picture on the computer and I was wondering if anyone would know how to blow it up to scale... Or if anyone knows the measurements of the Cirrus that'd be great!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    What I do to blow things up is just use an overhead projector. As long as that picture you have is to scale, make a transparency of it. Then just stick a large piece of paper or cardboard to the wall and shine the overhead at it. Just draw it right off of that.

3. If you want a cheatin' way of getting something in the ballpark of a copy of a particular design, you can do it this way...

Download a good clean pic of the bass for tracing. If you can scan one that's even better. Get a brochure or find one on the web. Once you've got the tracing of the frets done, scale the distance from the nut to the 12th fret to 17" or 17½" (depending on scale) and you're done. I've used this method just recently when a guy asked me if a BAII 5 would work on a new Deluxe Active Jazz if it was modified for through body stringing. I downloaded a pic from Fender and used it in Corel to do a scaled model of the two parts. Found out it won't work.

4. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I was able to trace the path of a bass downloaded from the web using Adobe Illustrator. I knew I wanted my bass to be twelve inches tall, so I made a document 12"by20" I then was able to scale up the path and then print it out on an injet by selecting the "Tile Imageable Areas" in the Document setup. Then its just a matter of cutting the pieces out and taping them together.