A question about measurements!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Paul Nugent, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Paul Nugent

Paul Nugent

Aug 17, 2004
    Hi, I'm looking to build a replica of a Peavy Cirrus for my first bass but I don't have any measurements to build from! :bawl: I looked around but couldn't find any either... I made a drawing from a picture on the computer and I was wondering if anyone would know how to blow it up to scale... Or if anyone knows the measurements of the Cirrus that'd be great!

Attached Files:

2. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    What I do to blow things up is just use an overhead projector. As long as that picture you have is to scale, make a transparency of it. Then just stick a large piece of paper or cardboard to the wall and shine the overhead at it. Just draw it right off of that.
  3. If you want a cheatin' way of getting something in the ballpark of a copy of a particular design, you can do it this way...

Download a good clean pic of the bass for tracing. If you can scan one that's even better. Get a brochure or find one on the web. Once you've got the tracing of the frets done, scale the distance from the nut to the 12th fret to 17" or 17½" (depending on scale) and you're done. I've used this method just recently when a guy asked me if a BAII 5 would work on a new Deluxe Active Jazz if it was modified for through body stringing. I downloaded a pic from Fender and used it in Corel to do a scaled model of the two parts. Found out it won't work.
  4. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I was able to trace the path of a bass downloaded from the web using Adobe Illustrator. I knew I wanted my bass to be twelve inches tall, so I made a document 12"by20" I then was able to scale up the path and then print it out on an injet by selecting the "Tile Imageable Areas" in the Document setup. Then its just a matter of cutting the pieces out and taping them together.