1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question about my recently purchased 800RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skoti89, Dec 28, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    i just had my friend buy me this 800RB on ebay on tuesday: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=270070888895&rd=1&rd=1

I might have made a mistake buying this used, not knowing how it was treated and so forth...no way to return it and no warranty. Could anybody ease my doubt? any ebayers out there that could assure me? say it arrives and doesnt work, am i basically out 360 dollars? ive read about these being reliable and all caould anyone assure me? i dont think this is to old, the newer ones have only one 1/4 speaker plug for the 8 ohm high channel, and the older ones have 2 i believe. could any one tell me how old it might be? sorry for all the questions, but do you think the guy will even include a power cable? it wasnt mentioned, but come on, that will piss me off if he doesnt

any answers to these questions are appreciated, thanks

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You're worried about this because...?

GK heads are crazy reliable. They're built to take a beating. I might be mistaken, but isn't Duff McKagan (Guns & Roses/Velvet Revolver) still rocking the same 800RBs that he used in the 80s?

http://www.artistrelations.com/movie_gk_test_duff.html

3. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    well, i have heard that they are very reliable, but i should have thought. how many of you guys trust ebay?

4. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    hmm i got a malfunctioning fan in a SWR Bass 350 i got off ebay not too long ago but thats different. I would not get a bass so idk if i do trust ebay. GK's are very reliable so you shouldnt have a problem unless the guy pried open the amp and took out all the parts

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    dont worry about it until the amp arrives and then if there is a problem there are steps you can take to have the issue resolved. My wife bought something on Ebay once and after paying with PAYPAL, the item never arrived and the seller disappeared. PAYPAL refunded us the entire amount in the end with very little hassel. they were great to deal with. Most ebay sellers are too afraid of negative feedback to risk someone getting ripped off and flaming them with negative feedback.

I had an 800rb for 9 years and it was such a great rock solid amp. They are so loud for the wattage rating, tight punchy and actually growly. There are tons of threads here on how to get the best tone out of them and what speaker cab combinations work the best.

Get yourself a double 15 cab and a 210 and you will never look back. enjoy!!

6. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    thanks!

7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    power cable? they are like $5 at any store...

and if it doesn't work....may just have to pay $60 and have it repaired....

not too much to worry about as long as he actually sends you an 800RB

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I would think a GK 800 would be one of the safer bids on E-bay, great amps!

9. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It's not about trusting ebay; its about trusting the seller. And your seller has a pretty good rating so I think you'll be fine.

If it makes you feel any better, I almost never buy gear new unless its some kind of special deal. I'd rather let somebody else take the hit on depreciation. And I've almost always recovered all my money on resale. I've bought a lot of stuff on ebay and have never regretted it.

D7

10. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a good clean 800RB lately too (& although I never bid on it, I was watching that very same auction!) and in the process learned that the earlier 800RB's had power switch mounted horizontally and newer ones are mounted vertically. I have absolutely no idea when this change took place (or i guess if it's a completely accurate observation) but thought you might appreciate learning this especially since yours appears to have the "newer" vertically mounted switch. Enjoy your amp! What cabinet(s) so you plan on running with your head?

11. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    im going to start with just a basic 8 ohm 15 cab,ported no tweeter/horn thar can handle nout 200 watts(it should get 150 watts correct?) then from there add some 12's, i dont like 10's much. the extra 100 watt high amp add alot more possibilities. thanks for all the help

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    You got the buyer's jitters

No worries

GK = robust

and the 800RB is a relatively simple amp to repair, so if anything happens you can find parts and any tech who has worked on a solid state amp can fix your amp.

Power cords are a dime a dozen. Do not be surprised if the power cord does not come though. I forgot to send one when I shipped and amp - so I Fed-exed it to the guy - no complaints - but if it's not there and you feel inconvenienced Radio Shack or any electronics store has you covered.

it's definietly a 90's 800rb because the front jacks are plastic and the back jacks have two for 8ohms don't know much more than that.

But hey man fear not,

Only time to be angry is if you open the box and find a brick. ;)

Oh and if you like 12's and 15's and you are not afriad to build a cabinet I HIGHLY reccommend building a Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 12 or 15.

I have the plans for an omni15 but I haven't built it yet - however with the 800RB's crossover and high wattage (100 versus 50 on all other models)
    That amp screams to be played through an OMNI

build it without the tweet and you will not need a crossover in the cab since there is one in the amp. AND you will literally have an amazingly functional and clear single cab solution that takes full advantage of the 800RB's features.

just my 2 cents