Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question about my string action

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 4, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Wasn't sure which part of the forum this Q belonged so this one'll do. First off, I have a strong plucking hand (I use 2 finger walking style). Too strong I think. I find that I get hung up when playing hard. I can't help it all the time, so if I were to raise the strings some, would this help suit my heavy hand not get hung up on the string when playing (especially 8th notes). My strings are rather low for a bass I have been told. ANy ideas?

2. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I don't believe raising the action would help with the "hang up" problem. It may clean up the sound a bit. Usually a heavy hand and low action result in fret buzz. If there's no buzz, don't raise the action. Probably the best thing is to try to lighten your touch. Practice with headphones on so you can hear everything and don't use any compression. Over time this will force you to lighten your touch and play evenly and will cary over to live/studio situations.

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I guess you are right, but the music we play is so high energy and rockin, I cannot to save my life, play easy on the strings. I get too hyped up. Someone else had already told me to lighten up on the strings, but for now I can't. Any other suggestions at all, though I know that isn't exactly correcting the problem.

4. Sounds like you are looking for a quick fix. Player is correct, practice and analyze and self critique,it's the only way to correctly improve your technique. But if playing hard is truly your style, then yeah, raising the action will clean it up a bit.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Try going to http://www.bassstreet.com and checking out the artical on essential oils, and see if it offers any aid to your hang-up problem.

(I tried to post a url direct to the artical, but it wasn't working :confused: )

BTW, I agree with the other posts - work on a lighter touch for a long term solution.

[Edited by Slater on 10-05-2000 at 11:18 PM]

6. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Try raising the strings and see if it helps. I personally can't stand a low action because I always feel like I'm restraining myself--it distracts me from the music. Kinda like playing in handcuffs. Anyway, I like the sound better when the action is raised some. As in every endeavor, bass players are individuals and what works for others may not work for you.

Raising the action may make you more comfortable or it may not. Only one way to find out. For starters, try raising the action on each of your saddles 1/4 turn. Then, if you don't like it, you can always put it back the way it was. Good luck.