A question about my Warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ImaStupidBaby, Feb 2, 2006.

1. I bought a 5 string Streamer STD a few years back. It was used, and I think it dates from about 1998 or 1999. It has a big MEG humbucker, and 1 tone knob and 1 volume knob. The tone knob has never seemed to work on it, but thats ok because its got a really nice tone anyway. I was playing it last night, and I noticed that the volume knob can be pulled out a little bit. Not like its broken or anything, because you can only pull it up so far (like 1/4") before it stops, but it clicks and the tone changes, like its activating a preamp or something. When I pull it up, its got a lot more of a slappable tone, and the high pitched white noise I get from my amp (a Ampeg B115) goes away. But the tone knob still doesn't seem to affect anything.

So my question is basically, is there a preamp or something on here that I've never noticed? Is it some feature I've just know stumbled upon? If its a preamp, why isn't there a place for a battery?

2. When you pull the volume knob up the bass goes into passive mode.
    When down the bass is active.

It is so if your battery ever quits while you are at a gig or something, you can pull the knob and still play the instrument. It would just be a passive bass then.
  3. The wierd thing is theres no battery in it (I've had it for a couple of years, and I've checked inside, because I was planning on adding a preamp to it)

I think its powered by a ghost or something, is the "phantom power" i've heard so much about?
  4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It sounds like it should have a battery in it. Does it work in active mode with no battery? Does it have circuit board type thing inside? What controls does it have? How many knobs?
  5. I don't have it with me right this moment (its at my rehearsal place), but it works in active mode with no battery. Theres no circuit board, just a volume knob that can pull toggled and a appearently broken tone knob
  6. steve21

steve21 Banned

Is it an MM type humbucker? if so, it's probably splitting it either into series/parallel or only accessing one of the coils or something.
  7. that might be it. and yeah, it is a MM style humbucker.

that makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.