A question about putting a dedication on your album's sleeve

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vlado, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Hi! I'm about to finish and publish record in a short time and I was wondering is it legal to put a dedication to an artist on the record sleeve, that being a using of that person's name, which could be considered as a violation of some copyright laws. This is the case: I have a song, my own original, that I've written a few years ago, being inspired by a well known artist. I always mention it during my gigs and I wonder what would happen if I simply put that dedication on my records' sleeve. Is it possible to get some kind of legal permission for such a thing and would it be necessary at all?

2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    If you just copied one of his songs I'd keep quiet about it.
    If it was a cool, story based song with a stomping chorus(thinking Bruce Springsteen as an example) as long as it wasn't obvious, same chords, progressions, if it is a bit different but having the same feel that would be OK with me.
    Maybe if you posted a part of the song. Just the chorus would give us an idea of what you mean.
    Good luck with the album.

3. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    There's nothing illegal about it. It'd be equivalent to posting here that someone is inspired by Jaco or whatever. If your song copies their work, that's different, but my understanding of your post is that the music is totally original and you just wish to cite the artist as inspiration in your liner notes. Perfectly fine.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I think it would be fine in the liner notes but I think it could be crossing the line on the cover, back or front. It could be seen as riding off their name.

Have you considered asking that artist if it would be acceptable for you to say "inspired by XXX" on your cover? You never know, they may be fine with it.

There are a few other Croatians here but I doubt any of them are lawyers in a relevant field. It never hurts to speak to an actual professional over things such as this (aside from the financial pain.)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Most songs by most artists have been inspired by other artists. Many I'm sure with interesting stories attached. I don't see any reason to make note of that in the liner notes. But I'm also not you :).

6. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Thanks for the replies. I found on her web site the e-mail address of the person responsible for her press contacts. I sent her an e-mail explaining the situation and am expecting a reply. A few people I talked to told me there's no need to worry about mentioning her in the liner notes, 'cause it falls under "freedom of speech" category, but I still felt it would be kind of nice to ask the artist for permission before using her name on my product. Of course, if she disagrees I won't put it on.

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Now that Kaley Cuoco is single again, I'm going to dedicate all my performances to her.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022