a question about Rics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rekesbass, Jan 21, 2003.

1. I have a '82 4001 that REALLY need of a fret job. the thought of bringing it to just any luthier kinda scares me because no one in my area that I know of has done much work on Ric basses(I really love this bass). so I ask if anyone here knows a good luthier near the Albany NY area.(within a 50-100mile radius).and what is the average cost of a fret job on a Ric..I know that the price is a little higher for Ric's because of the binding and finish on the fingerboard..but a ballpark figure will do.or should I just hang this bass over the mantle like an old musket and get a new 4003..thank you in advance for any info on this subject
  2. ok...did a search,came up with nothing,except a 2yr. old thread dealing with someone buying an old Ric. all I need to know at this point, is a fret job on a Ric worth the cost or should I buy a new one(not that I can afford one right now),apparently there are no Ric guy's(luthiers) in NY state within a 100mi. of me(VT,MA,CT are not too far)...shipping it off to someone is not an option right now,only because I would like to talk to that person face to face and see the work he\she has done in the past..my local music store mentioned something about some guy around here who dose'nt touch the binding,but lets the fret edges go over the top of the binding then files them down to remove sharp edges...this does'nt seem right,but then again,I'm no luthier...anyone???
  3. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I know you said you don't want to ship it, but Mike Lull in the Seattle area does fabulous repair work as well as his own instrument line. He repaired a fingerboad that was lifting away from the neck on a 1970 4005 for me. He also is a Ric fan, and used to own a few very old collectable Rics. He knows Rics very well, so it would at least be worth a phone call.

Check him out at http://www.mikelull.com

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
  4. thank you I'll check him out....he sounds like the kind of guy I would WANT to work on my Ric...BTW I heard of him and heard good things..I suppose shipping it to a guy like him would be worth the trouble....thanks again
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The way to refret a bound board is as the guy you talked to described it. You don't touch the binding. Instead, you nip the tang so the tang will sit inside the unbound portion of the board and the crown will sit on top of it.

No idea if the guy is any good.
  6. so my local guy was right about this procedure.it just did'nt sound "right",but like I said ,I'm no luthier. if thats the case,I would prefer to stay local..what is a ballpark figure on this re-fret??.I would like to know before I ask him his rate to make sure I don't get taken to the cleaners(if you know what I mean)....as far as him being any good,I will insist on seeing some of his work and getting references from other clients...again, thank you all for your responses
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another option for you is to try and get in touch with someone at rickenbacker and ask their opinion. they are pretty good about answering questions via email - for a long time john c hall was active on the net in ric groups (don't know if he still is or not).
  8. :oops: silly me, I never thought about contacting RIC..maybe because I heard\read? (somewhere) that the customer service dept.was'nt very helpful. it's nice to know that JCH actually answers mail...I'll drop'em a line in the a.m. ..thanks again