1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Question about Scale Length

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Graitn95, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Graitn95

Graitn95

Jul 21, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Hi y'all,

I currently have a 3/4 size parrot bass with a 1084mm (42.68") scale length, and I'm looking at replacing my current strings with D'Addario Kaplans.

I am currently using D'Addario Helicore pizz. strings for G, D, and A, and have a Super-Sensitive red label for an E string.

Right now I'm planning to focus more on orchestral playing, which is why I'm looking to replace the strings.

My question is, will the 3/4 Kaplans be long enough to fit on my bass?

2. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    I wouldn't worry about it. Most strings had a bunch of length before the nut for exactly this sort of situation. I've never encountered a situation where i've had less than a few inches of metal wrapping behind the nut (with the exception of dominants, but that was on purpose) with my 42" scale length.

Also, even if there were for some reason to be fabric wrapping in the nut, it's not a problem. I had a violist for a teacher for a while who had a very large viola (17-18" or more) and had a hard time finding D strings that would fit. as a result there was always a little fabric wrapping in front of the nut (on the playing length). while this is an apples to potatoes comparison (similar only in france), i have seen bassists with this as well without issue.

Cheers,

eerbrev

3. I have a 109cm scale and tried a lot of strings from different manufacturers.
    Except for one set with a manufacuring failure from a korean manufacturer (I got this for evalualtion) and another rather unpopular string from a smaller german manufacturer (Pyramid), I didn't had any problems. (Pyramid makes longer strings on request.)
    BUT, some of the strings (i.e. Innovations) reached the nut with the metal part unstretched, but probably wouldn't for a 110cm or longer scale. So it might depend on the underlengths.
    I didn't had any problems with Pirastro strings and 4/4 Spiros. (Even the 3/4 Spiros worked reaching the nut, but were too short to wind onto the fifth uppermost peg.)

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Contact D'addario directly and ask. Supply them not only with your scale length, but your afterlength also. They can tell you.

5. Graitn95

Graitn95

Jul 21, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I measured and sent an email to D'addario. Does anyone know if the 3/4 Kaplans are at least 60" long?

edit:

This is what the email said: