A question about scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassPanther, May 3, 2003.

1. I just recently purchased Mel Bay's "Deluxe Bass Chords, Arpeggios & Scales" and it's confused me somewhat. It shows a major scale pattern in the wrong position and says it's a different Major key then the root note.

Example: Underneath the F Major section it shows the fingering pattern beginning on the fifth fret of the E string (A). Wouldn't that make it an A Major scale?
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Could it be showing you the A Phrygian mode?

A Phrygian=A Bb C D E F G

Each mode of the major scale begins on a different note of that scale. So the Phrygian mode begins on the 3rd note, which in this case, is A.

Not exactly sure what is meant by "different Major key than the root note"...then again, I just woke up..zzz...LOL :D
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, I'd agree with Stephanie on that one. I presume they're talking about the F Major scale played starting A - also known as the A Phyrgian scale.
  4. I guess you both are right about it being the A Phrygian mode, the fingering pattern is the Phrygian fingering pattern (Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole) and not the Major Fingering Pattern (Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half).

The thing that confused me is that on the page it says "Primary Forms- F Major" and then it shows the fingering pattern but it makes no mention about being it being the Phrygian mode...and it didn't make a mention of what the root note is.

I think basically what I'm saying is this book sucks. :D
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    If it said "Primary Forms- F Major" then it told you that the root is F.
  6. Yes, but my point is most books would identify the root note with a square or something to that effect and it wasn't done.