Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question about sensitivity and...... balance ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, May 29, 2002.

1. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    A question about sensitivity and...... balance ?

I’m thinking about adding a second cabinet to my single rig 210 rig. For versatility, I’m leaning towards a 112 (this way I could also use the 112 as a stand alone practice cab as well as an additional cab for larger gigs if needed.) My question is about sensitivity. My 210 cab has a 104db sensitivity and the 112 cab I have in mind has a sensitivity of 102db. How will the volume balance between the two cabs be affected by using two cabs with different sensitivity specs? When using both cabs together, will one always sound louder then the other or will they balance well? By the way the 210 is an 8 ohm 350 watt cab and the 112 is an 8 ohm 300 watt cab. Both powered by a 200-watt tube head at ether 8 or 4 ohms.

Thanks...

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    3 db will make a diff in volume, so you might hear more of speaker than the other. the safest way is to just run parallel, if you can. but it sounds like you're using a DB359. hmmm... you might run into some slight probs since you really cant run parallel.

3. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    That’s right the 359 cannot support parallel outputs. But even if it could run in parallel, I would think I would have the same sensitivity and volume per cab issue. No? Yes? But anyway...could I be bringing up a mute point...is this even a problem at a 2-3 db difference? At a 5-6 db spread maybe yes? Do you know of anyone who uses cabs with different sensitivity levels with good or bad results?

FYI...If my 210 cab wasn't so heavy to lug up and down stairs to practice, I would just get another matching one. I dig the sound of the 210 and having two would be cool...but it is.:cool: