Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question about signing a bass guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by markjazz, May 17, 2002.

1. As I'm going to north sea jazz this year to see Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke, I want to try something.

As it is always relaxed at North Sea Jazz, I'm gonna try to get Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke to sign my latest bass.

Dou you have any experience with getting basses signed?

What kind of marker or other writing tool should I use?

I know it is a long shot but Marcus asked for it himself last year at north sea jazz if I had my bass with me, so he could try playing it and sign it!

Edit: grammar correction

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I have no experience with this, but wouldn't a marker rub off too easily?

How about one of those touch-up pens for automotive finish?

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Stanley signed one of my basses with a Sharpie. He signed it in 2 places, on the back of the neck, which at the time was unfinished, and at the back of the headstock, which has a polyurethane finish. I had the neck resealed with a polyurethane finish, so that signature is preserved.

The signature on the back of the headstock shows no signs of deteriorating. Of course, no one has any reason to consistently touch that part of the bass, so I think it will last indefinitely.

My suggestion to you is to have them sign the headstock or some other part of the bass that doesn't get a lot of finger traffic. Take a Sharpie with you. Best permanent marker I have had experience with.

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

4. I was at a jazz clinic put on by Victor Wooten two years ago in Norfolk VA. I had one of my DP custom basses with me. Afterwards Vic was giving autographs and I asked him if he wouldn't mind signing my bass, as I never plan on selling it anyway. He said sure and used the permanent ink marker he was using on everything else. That was way cool. I have played the bass at several gigs since and it hasn't rubbed off. I thought about putting some kind of sealer over it but have not as of yet.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am thinking of taking my Hamer 12 to the King's X show and seeing if Doug will sign it for me. The only problem is, the bass is black. The only thing that would show up is one of those silver paint markers, or something like that.

If I do get it signed, I will put a thin coat of clear lacquer over the autograph to preserve it.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hey Jeff, be like Mike:

[​IMG]

7. embellisher

Is that gold paint pen?

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    If your bass has a pickguard, it sure is easier to take the pickguard than a whole bass.
    Doc

9. Or get a clear pickgaurd and have them sign under it

10. embellisher

It doesn't have a pickguard. I guess I could take the control cavity cover and have it signed.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As far as I know. You could ask Mike.

12. real simple..

use some sandpaper to make a spot of your finish dull.. then let them sign it with a marker, and then put some clear finish over it. polish it and voilla.. signed for life !

:D