1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question about the American monetary system

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Apr 9, 2010.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    This is largely an American forum so I thought that this'd be a good place for advice.

Most of American currency is adorned with president figures these days. George Washington is on the single. Thomas Jefferson is on the $2. Lincoln on $5... You get the idea.

Writing a paper for my rhetoric speech class I find it curious that Jackson is emblazoned on the $20 bill. While he's famous for massacring Indians and fighting a war that already ended, he also vetoed the second Bank of the United States bid to be rechartered. (I'm actually writing a paper due in an hour on his Bank Veto speech)

Kinda ironic.

2. You'll learn that they stopped backing the currency with gold, and replaced it with bull ****.

Alexander Hamilton, one of the most corrupt leaders this country has ever seen is on the $10. Benjamin Franklin was so old, he couldn't stay awake during the constitutional convention, and kept farting in his sleep, adding to the terribly hot, un air conditioned conditions in the top floor of liberty hall.

3. Maybe he was a well connected Freemason. They are actually running the government you know ;) Look at all their symbols on the currencey! It's a plot I tell you!!

Off to don my tinfoil hat and retreat into my bunker. Why did you have to bring this up??

4. +1

5. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    good quality, grade A american ********.

he was our first populist president. a true non-elitist, man of the people type of guy.

and yes, this thread reeks of the "all seeing eye"

beware.......

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    There's the answer right there.

There's a push right now to put a certain 40th president on the Fifty, [del]and I can't imagine the criteria has changed too much[/del] you might want to mention that.

7. Oh MY :eyebrow:

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm well aware of that. Doesn't change the fact that Alexander Hamilton is one of my favorite historical figures. When does the former Sec. of the Treasury get shot by the Vice President?:p

9. wasn't there an online "in 200 words or less, why should you be on the 20?" contest when the $20 bill first came out? :D

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    tin-foil-hat.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It should be 20 words or less!

12. That cat has nice hat. Better looking than mine :meh:

13. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    We have Darwin on our £10 notes. We're obviously the more evolved country.

jazz-hands.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm Andrew Jackson. I'm a man of the people and people love 20s. Who cares if I hate you?

15. Hamilton's reign in the Washington administration was pretty terrifying, IMO. It's sad that it took 20 solid minutes to have a corrupt government.

16. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I don't really see any questions in the OP. So...?

False. A US bill represents a debt that the government owes to the holder, the value of which is decided by all holders of bills.

17. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Irony is probably the best explanation. He'd be happy to know that when he first appeared on the bill in 1928 it was still backed by specie (gold or silver).

Google image series 1928 20 dollar bill...

18. you can almost afford half a gram of gold for $20 apparently :p

19. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    We've got an established rapport. Don't just throw me to the wolves with an :eyebrow: and no hug.

It hurts.:bawl:

20. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I didn't know that Aaron Burr was the Vice President . . . I just knew that he was one of my ancestors . . .