1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question about the jag bass Pino was using..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by handsome marc, Dec 8, 2006.

1. handsome marc

handsome marc Guest

Jan 6, 2006
    I Just saw The Who last night and Pino was using Jag basses the whole show. I thought that it was pretty cool since every time I've seen him on tv he's been using precisions or some other bass. I loved these basses since they've come out. I was just wondering if anyone here knew if he uses them stock or if he tricks them out in any sort of way.. pickups, electronics etc...

Thanks,
    Marc

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I popped this very question on his Blog, but he hasn't replied yet.

AFAIK, there aren't any mods, but I'm wondering if one or both are Custom shop since they're both black and one has a matching headstock.

3. handsome marc

handsome marc Guest

Jan 6, 2006
    As far as the stock ones go, I thought you could get the red or the black with a matching headstock and the sunburst one didn't have a matching headstock. Also, I think you can only get the sunburst one from japan. I've been wanting to buy one for a long time now. Now I really want one after seeing him play it last night (geeky, I know). Oh yeah, I almost forgot. THE SHOW ROCKED!

4. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    tried out a red one the other day at gc in sf
    it had a matching red headstock too

played nice sounded nice and was for sale at around 650

does anyone know where the heck are those things made anyway

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Only red and black are available in the states. Only red has a matching headstock. No blacks do.

6. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Yes, these basses are incredible!! I have a black one and a vintage white one that I bought from Japan, that's where they're made. The best kept secret in the bass world!

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Crafted in Japan.

8. starcaster

starcaster

Dec 6, 2006
    London
    The Fender Jaguar bass is made in japan for those who wanted to know. They are awaesome. the E string also seems to have a natural chorus sound as well.:)

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

Heh, I think you need to intonate that E there.....

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Natural chorus? Sounds like you twisted the E string while installing it.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  12. im sure pino's jag is juat a custom job with a black head (it actually looks dark blue but thats stage lights prob), i mean its not like he aint in fenders account books or anything (just look @ the £$ tag on his P model)

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Maybe it's a special "Pino Noir" Custom shop model?:D

14. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    I just checked the bay...Jagbass
    It does look like a funky@55bass! I wanna play one

15. handsome marc

handsome marc Guest

Jan 6, 2006
    Thanks for all the fast replies. Anyone know if he uses stock pickups and electronics in that Jag?

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    He was interviewed in Bass Player recently, and he just says he uses the Jaguar... "which I love. They're like Jazz basses with a little more kick to them, and I can get around on them easily." He makes no mention of any modifications.

17. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I was lucky enough to see The Who in Dallas a few weeks ago, 7th row center. I had access to some binoculars and checked out Pino's rig. He had 2 black Jags. The backup looked totally stock. The one he played all night looked stock except for the black headstock. The headstock looked flat black like it was painted rather than factory. Sweet sound for sure. I've played one a few times in a basement jam setting and it had a nice warm yet present sound. I prefer a P neck profile or I would def score one.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pino is hardly the type to mess with things... I do believe all his basses are bone stock. However, with the possibilty that the Jags are Custom Shop, they might be a bit different. The only one who knows is Pino, and maybe the guys at Fender, but the latter won't talk about customer basses, and Pino hasn't replied yet.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    LOL good one!

20. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    I just bought a red Jag Thursday night and I must say it is an awesome bass. I play mostly 5 strings and have two active Laklands (55-02 & DJ5 Jretro). I've wanted a nice solid active 4 string that would look cool and get the job done without breaking the bank and the Jag does it. Obviously being a Jag, the control layout is totally unorthodox, but that is what makes it so cool. You can get plenty of traditional sounds and you can get some bass sounds you've never heard before, truly unique. The build quality is awesome and the neck is super fast. You can also get some super burpy bridge pickup sounds. I suggest everyone go out and get one, for the money, features and cool factor, they can't be beat.
    :bassist: