1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question about the Roscoe Beck 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveB, Jan 17, 2001.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I just bought a used RB5 which I found in a local Fender dealer. Now here's the odd part. It has two volume pots (instead of the standard 3 way toggle switch), a tone pot and the two micro switches.I have never seen an RB5 without the 3 way toggle before. The sales guy didn't know how old it is. It's in dead mint condition so I can't even guess the age.
    What do you think? Is this an early model or what? As an aside it is a great bass. Definitely one of my better impulse buys.

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hmmmm....interesting!
    wanna post a pic?

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    RETSAMPALS- Since I posted this I called Fender.They have never used the two volume pots - only the 3 way toggle.So a previous owner did a mod. What threw me was the scratchplate. Obviously it's a replacement but I would have thought a replacement would have the "slit" where 3 way toggle should go. Not only that but the extra volume pot is lined up perfectly. Someone went to a lot of trouble to get rid of the 3 way toggle.At any rate it's a great bass and will likely be my primary gig bass.

4. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hahah ok

5. That sounds like a good and sensible mod to me. I never liked 3 way switches, they seem too limiting.