Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question about the Roscoe Beck 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveB, Jan 17, 2001.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I just bought a used RB5 which I found in a local Fender dealer. Now here's the odd part. It has two volume pots (instead of the standard 3 way toggle switch), a tone pot and the two micro switches.I have never seen an RB5 without the 3 way toggle before. The sales guy didn't know how old it is. It's in dead mint condition so I can't even guess the age.
    What do you think? Is this an early model or what? As an aside it is a great bass. Definitely one of my better impulse buys.

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hmmmm....interesting!
    wanna post a pic?

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    RETSAMPALS- Since I posted this I called Fender.They have never used the two volume pots - only the 3 way toggle.So a previous owner did a mod. What threw me was the scratchplate. Obviously it's a replacement but I would have thought a replacement would have the "slit" where 3 way toggle should go. Not only that but the extra volume pot is lined up perfectly. Someone went to a lot of trouble to get rid of the 3 way toggle.At any rate it's a great bass and will likely be my primary gig bass.

4. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hahah ok

5. That sounds like a good and sensible mod to me. I never liked 3 way switches, they seem too limiting.