1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question about the Tokai Hardpuncher

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tor-Arne, Sep 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tor-Arne

Tor-Arne

Sep 5, 2016
    Hello. I bought a Tokai Hardpuncher some months ago. This was not in a good condition, so I took evrything apart, and the first I noticed was the weight and density of the body. This felt surprisingly light, and the wood very porous, I could almost pick the screws at the fingerboard out with my fingers.
    I have never owned one of these basses before, but know they were very popular back in the 80`s, and also that the quality is quite good all over. Therefore, I wonder if the body could have been changed during the years, to f.ex a cheap china-model bought on eBay. The balance when it`s hanging in the strap is really bad, as the neck will tilt down all the time...

It would be nice if anybody who also own one could give a short description about this bass, and confirm if this is the way a Hardpuncher should be, or if something is totally wrong.

2. Pics or it didn't happen...

My cousin had one back in the day. Black on black w/ maple fb. Sounded awesome!

Dunno what body wood these had.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    From what I have seen and remember they were very well built and solid. The body on yours sound weird for sure. This is one bass I hope to own someday. They are getting really hard to find.

EdO. likes this.