A question about the tone playing in bands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Right now I am using a peavey fury. It is active. When I am playing solo or with the drums, my tone is pretty trebely with some low end in it. When I am playing with the full band all I can hear is a nice thick tone as if all the treble got lost in the guitar distortion. I like this. My question is, when my geddy lee bass finaly gets made and in stock, and then brought home... will I still be able to hear the clanky growl playing alone, then just the thick undertone when the guitar comes in?
  2. Yes, probably. It all depends on your EQ'ing and the other musicians'. The bass tends to lose some frequencies to the other instruments. That's why the tone that cuts through best is not always the most pleasant when heard solo.

I'm no sound expert, but that's how I understand it.
  3. I agree. I like quite a "thuddy" sound on my P-Bass for the ska and reggae kind of sound. But I find in a band situtation, more mid and treble to the sound help it to cut through the mix thus making it more growly punk-esque tone.
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Very well said!

Many times people buy instruments with out understand this and what to listen for. You can find an instrument that cuts extremely well and sounds killer solo, but that's an instrument that has a beautiful natural sound for the most part with an eq system that lifts the instrument up not creates a sound that's not there in the bass. This would be what you’re referring to and many times are the case with basses.

The Mids are going to be the most important part of cutting through and depending on the preamp might not be the most pleasant to listen to.

With the Jazz its a very Mid range driven bass and should work very well fro you. You might find yourself wanting a good outboard eq to add some depth and bottom end or high's since its a passive bass, but should work nicely for you.
  5. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I too ran into this problem after playing a few years and learning how to get a decent tone. I found that my bass alone sounded great but with the band it was not being heard. I had the mids cut around 500 and had a nice "scooped" tone but it was no good for cutting thru a band. I found boosting upper mids helped.