A question about tools...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thrash_jazz, Jun 18, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi everybody,

I have a couple of building projects in the works that have been stalled mostly due to a lack of tools. I have a small one-bedroom apartment, and thus would have difficulty in storing and perhaps using large tools such as sanders, routers etc.

My question is whether smaller power tools, such as the Dremel rotary tool, would be as effective. I have never heard of any luthier using smaller tools, and I was wondering what the underlying reason might be.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I rarely use my dremel. I'd say that I prefer to use hand tools to most small power tools, where possible.

What it comes down to is that most people who want to do this on a regular basis end up finding a way to get more space, and thus, bigger tools.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Thanks for the reply!

Clearly, bigger tools are going to be more effective, but I was wondering if small tools can do the job at all, or are they completely useless in this sport?

I'm just doing this for fun and don't want to spend a jillion dollars on tools quite yet :D . Something like a Dremel I could probably justify buying, but not a router, sander or table saw... :cool:
  4. Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    My advice is take the money you would be spending on a dremel and buy a decend hand sander. That will save you more hand work than any other small tool I can think of. I built my first bass in an apartment (actually on the front porch) and used the dremel I already owned very little. Much more can be done with chisel/hammer, planes, files and rasps than those small things. (as far as instrument making goes)
  5. Jack Brown

Jack Brown

Mar 22, 2001
    Hello Thrash_Jazz,

You could likely get a coping saw, a good wood rasp, and a sanding block for less than the cost of a Dremel tool.

About the only uses I can think of for the Dremel tool, would be enlarging pickup pockets slightly and polishing frets.