a question about weight

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jimmy ray, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Hi, I did a search for this, and did not come up with any answers to my question(s). Ok, this summer I'll be building my own p-bass copy, almost exact to tell the truth. This is my first attempt at anything more than refinishing an instrument, so I'm ordering a neck from Warmoth, with the body to be built by me of northern ash, this is my question, would it be possible to hollow out the body almost totally under the pickguard without any harm being done? If this is not ideal, then what would my best options be to keep it light, but sticking to northern ash as the bodywood? thanks for your help.
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you must stick with northern ash, then the only way to lighten it up is to remove some of the ash.

Warmoth has a semi-hollow option, don't they? Maybe you should go for that.
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Since you seem determined to make your own body, consider making it in two parts - body and the top "cap" about 1/4" thickness. Before glueing the two together, hollow out channels in the body with a router. Then 'cap' the routs with the top so they are not visible. For better balance, I would suggest routing only on the upper side of the body, above the pickups, all the way from the bridge area to the upper bout.
  4. thanks for your help, do you know of anywhere i could find some good diagrams or pictures of channeling out the body & using a cap? and I would carve out the body the same way to accomidate the pup & electronics as I would if its solid wood?
    thanks again guys, I mean, some of these questions I'm sure are pretty simple answers, but like I said, I've never done anything more than refinsh basses & guitars.