Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question asked probably many times, sorry but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThAt duDe, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    cAliForNIa
    I'm another one of those cases where I don't know if I want to switch from guitar to bass. I've been playing guitar for 3 1/2 years so I have a good feel for the stringed instrument. Naturally, I can mimic these skills and do well on a bass guitar.

I've been thinking hard about switching ever since I got to mess around with my friend's bass for a session. I know some would suggest playing both, but I'd like to focus and excel at one instrument. I'm intrigued by the sound and style of the bass, but I'm afraid I'd regret the decision. I don't need any information on which bass or amp to buy, I'm gear smart. Just need some advice.

If you have the need to flame about this being posted before, you're just waisting your time. I want some serious opionions please, thank you.

2. I don't think we can make this decision. If you feel it's what you want to do, then go for it. It's that simple.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    First, the guitar and bass are very close, yet Very different. Alot more to concider while playing bass. Also, it's not natural to mimic your guitar skills, onto bass. No offence.

Well, which do you honestly like better? In my opinion. I like the feeling of being the one holding down a song, keeping in sync with the dummer. Plus, there's usually only one bass player.

Also, you'll rarley see a Double Neck 7 string guitar, one fretted one fretless (Hello JT!!) You may also find, there's ALOT more to concentrate on. You might play with your fingers (Whole new technique, like starting from square 1) and the frets are about the size of baseball bats.

And sound. Sorry man, but you can't hide any mistakes behind distortion. Notes have to be dead on and hold it down.

But, this is all my opinion. You sit down and play your heart out on whatever instrument you may choose.

Buddha's Blessing!

Mark

4. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    cAliForNIa
    Thanks for your help.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Misc...