A question concerned with 4 stringers and 9 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Silverstar, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's just a hypothetical question: If you had not to concern the neck width of a 9er would anybody play anything else than a 9er ?
    I mean there is nothing you can do on 4 and not do on a 9
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. I would still play a four string... if only to save money on strings!
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Oh, this should be good.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Yes there is. Slap without having the lower strings rumble. Muting is TOUGH to do on a 9.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

i don't play 4's and i still won't play a 9. in fact, i had the chance to own bill dickens' old 9 and i didn't pursue it.

i'm still waiting to see this silver star 7 that you have. i wonder if it's anything like the conklin 9 and the warrior 9 that two "different" individuals - warriorbass and conklinrules - with your same ip address claimed to have a little bit before you started coming around here.

maybe you know warriorbass - he plays "NuMetal" in the same area of germany that you are from. surely there aren't that many folks from there doing that, are there?

oh, and how are the 4x15" cabs doing?

7. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    i rather just have a good ol'four stringer
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I play bass. What would I do with a guitar range ?
    A lower string might be nice, but anything else, not for me...
    Actually, if it was not for covers, I'd probably play a 3 string B-E-A.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    JT to the rescue!

There's nothing you can do on a nine that you can't do on a four? Well, there's nothing you can do on a four that you can't do on a four. That's not a good enough reason to play a 58-string bass. More is good for some, less is good for others. That's why not everyone would play a 9-string if not for neck width.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well put.
    Thread closed ?
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, maybe, but i'm sorta waiting to see what's coming. :D
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I agree, for the average bass player, 9 strings is waaaay too much. You'll either use more or less the entire range, which would sound kinda wierd, or use 2 or 3 strings which would make the whole idea of 9 strings pointless and embarrasing. If you'd use 3 strings, get a 4 string. If you use low notes, get a 5. If you need an expanded range, get a 6. And if you have nothing better to do (JT) get a 7:D :D but a 9 is too much. Just because you CAN have more, doesn't mean you should get it. I'm quite sure the most I'll ever need is a 5, I wouldn't get a 9 no matter what. It's a matter of personal preference.

But then again, if you need 9 strings, go right ahead.
  13. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Tuning the bastard :p
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey guys guess what!?!?!?!

A 9 string bass has 12 notes!

A 4 string bass has 12 notes!

Isnt that crazy!

Seriously, who cares how many strings are on the friken bass?

Just play what you play best and leave it at that!

15. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
  16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Isn't it annoying when people start threads on such gruior subject matter....then once they are told what-for they don't step in again to at least reaffirm their stance and/or clear up any unwanted....bitterness between tb'ers.
    why can't people take a little heat?

and on the subject of 9-strings and 4-strings.
    I would never play a 9-string....whats the point?
    thats my opinion. theres more than enough fun and music to be found on a 4 string....hell I love playing 1-string instruments(I don't remember what they are called...but you know what I'm talking about...1 string and a couple of bars to pinch the string against(and change the note)

on an unrelated note...the news just came on and the first 4 stories involved death and violence.
  17. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    hell i don't even understand why there are 5string basses? only thing i could think is to play scales easier :rolleyes:
    when playing in a band, 4 strings are all you need imo(unless you play with a 7 string guitarist). if you wanna solo, get a guitar.
  18. Well, some people like to play notes below low E. Some people like to play notes higher than high E or Eb on Fender basses. Some people like the sound of the low B and high C even when played within normal 4 string range. And what's wrong with soloing on bass anyway?
  19. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I've never felt the need for more than 4. Sometimes I wish my jazz bass had a two octave neck so I can solo up high. I feel that more than 5 strings is a whole other instrument. I heard a guy play all these chords on a 7 string and it does sound really good but it's not bass. It's a different intrument that I don't want to play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.