1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question for Alembic players.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Feb 25, 2008.

1. So, my Alembic obsession is rearing it's head again...

Basically, there is this one Alembic tone that haunts my every waking moment. It's very un-Stanley, far from the snappy slappy tones they normally produce.

This sound is something else, very growly and rattly, with a very distinctive 'attack'. It's there in Entwistle's Alembic tones but I originally put it down to his use of distortion. But it's very clearly there on Led Zeppelin's 'Ozone Baby', and Greg Lake's stuff with ELP, particularly 'Fanfare...'. And they both sound very 'clean' to these ears.

I am hoping to get an Alembic at some point, probably a signature standard. Is this amazing sound achievable with such a bass or is it the sole domain of the Series basses? Because if it is I have no hope:crying:

Cheers in advance for any help!

2. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Lake, Entwistle, and Jones all used a pick at some point, so what you're probably hearing is an Alembic with a pick-in "Fanfare," it sounds like Lake is using an 8-string. I don't have the Zep song you're talking about, but it's possible that Jones was using an 8-string as well.

With a Signature, you should be able of the way there-the electronics have most of the versatility of the Series setup. If you wanted to get even closer, a bass with the Anniversary electronics would be a good choice-the tone-shaping section is the same as a Series bass, but without the single-coil pickups, etc., which don't affect the tone that much, IMO.

3. I believe the JPJ/Greg Lake stuff has a pick, but most of the Entwistle stuff is fingerstyle and the sound is still there. I know 'Fanfare' is on an 8 string, I should have pointed that out. Again the sound is still there. Thanks for your input though!

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Kink,

I don't know if this is exactly what your after but I think the Alembic growl that I really like comes from emphisizing the bridge pickup, cranking the filter down to right around 600hz and going full with the Q switch. I find this to be akin to a Jaco "Teen Town" tone, albeit a bit more hi-fi.

Best of luck finding a great Alembic someday.

Bones

5. Thank you for your input and wishes but I don't think that's the sound, it couldn't really be described as Jaco-like. It's quite an aggressive sound, I'm thinking it might be a result of the stereo output... Any thoughts?

6. Not specifically, but you're more than welcome to hang out and ask questions in the Alembic forums, on their website.

Alembic Club Forum

You can get virtually any of their basses with Series electronics if you're willing to pay for it, and my bottom-of-their line Epic has a really powerful attack and growl all through the low and mid range.

Good luck!

7. Thanks I'll look there. I knew I was clutching at straws a bit here, the tone is very difficult to express with words if you haven't heard it.

8. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Your best bet is to talk with Susan or Mica at Alembic and tell them the sound you are after. They will be best at helping you get it.