A question for all Guitarists: Be honest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blazer, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Let's put up the things that make us go "Arrrrrgh" when we pick up one of our guitars.

The guitar
    My 1989 Squier Strat, now retro fitted with a white mid seventies Fender USA stratbody, a kahler spyder tremolo and a single Seymour Duncan little 59 pickup.
    What I don't like about it
    I detest having to use a wrench to tune the bugger, and when a string breaks the whole tuning is bust

The guitar
    My 1998 Squier affinity tele, the "Breadboard guitar" body stripped shaved down and inlayed with contrasting stripes of maple and Platanus, it has it's stock single coils replaced by Seymoure Duncan Little 59 pickups.
    Hard to explain this but there's something about the neck that makes it feel uncomforatble durings gigs but at rehearsals there's nothing wrong. I also have to replace the volume pot since it's extremely scratchy and the neck pickup humms when I touch it

The guitar
    My Cort Jim Triggs Signature model hollow body. Totally stock.
    Neck heavy and it plays rather awkward, plus that the tuners have a different ratio from the ones that are on my other guitars.

The guitar
    My late Eighties/early nineties, Hohner TE Custom Double bound telecaster copy
    The binding cuts in my flesh when I play it live and wearing T-shirt, and it's also heavier than any Gibson Les Paul I ever played.

The guitar
    My Telecaster/Les Paul hybrid, which fuses telecaster style pickups and hardware with a Les Paul shaped body, I'm currently refinishing it in sunburst.
    The neck (which came frome Mighty mite) has this speedy Ibanez Profile combined with small vintage fretwire and the string spacing is a little cramped.

The guitar
    My Tele V, a flying V with the body ends cut off shaped solid with a tele bridge and Pickup (coming from a sixties tele)
    Neck heavy, extremely brittle sound, it sometimes tend to sound like an Ovation electro accoustic.

So safe to say there's a lot I could name that I would like to see combined in one single guitar, one which would combine the good things of my guitars and eliminate the bad things.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My roommate has a PRS with a Roland Midi Pickup system, when he got the midi system his dad didn't want him to drill holes in the nice ass guitar, so they devised a way to perch it on a platter using the same screws for the pickups.

it was a nice work around, but now the pickup pops up from time to time, just barely, and it makes the strings buzz like mad.

I don't like that, and neither does he.
  3. I don't have one of my own *YET*, but I use my fathers

1993 MIM Strat
    Very nice guitar, very playible (had it setup by me), very nice tone for what I'm looking for (thick, like James Iha or Billy Corgan guitar tone)
    Bad: It has a floating Tremelo, which means it's a bitch to intonate. My dad and I are thinking about removing a spring to make it less sensitive.

1984 Semihollow body Yamaha
    Good: Very nice neck, beautiful tone, thick and meaty yet very graceful and not too twangy.
    Cons: Very hard to play sitting down. Always have to keep one hand on the neck or it will fall off your lap.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, FF. Do like I told ya. Take all the strings off, then put on all 5 springs in back.

My guitars.
    Late 80's squier strat with noisless fender pickups.
    What I don't like:
    It plays funky. I'm not sure why. And the tone is just not quite right. I think I need to set it up, put some fat strings on it, and adjust the pickups.

93 Ibanez RG565. Great guitar. Sounds great with drive.
    What I don't like:
    It only sounds good with drive. I can't get a good clean out of it. More pickup crap probably. Also, the floy rose system needs blocked off. Maybe. I have a hipshot tremsetter installed which keeps it stable. I have a problem with the locking nut which I took the locks off. It pokes my fingers.

Bentley series 10 K-shaped wacko guitar. Very beefy sound. GREAT neck.
    What I don't like:
    Cheap tuners. Ugly screwed up finish. Plywood body.
  5. Guitar:
    Schecter PT Elite
    Bad Stuff: The only bad thing is the fact that it has duncan designs as opposed to real duncans...I love this guitar!

Fender Nashville Telecaster
    Bad Stuff: I don't like the pickups I put in, and thus never play it. Plus, it has a huge dent (my own fault)

Jackson Dinky
    Bad stuff: I HATE Floyd Roses. It feels/plays good but I'll probably sell it.

Ibanez RG120
    Bad stuff: Its total junk. It would cost more to fix than it would to sell.
  6. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Here's one of mine.

The guitar:
    2003? 2004? Ibanez RG-7321
    What I don't like about it:
    Sometimes the 7th string will get in the way. It's a real bitch to tune all those 7 strings when you go from a 4 string bass to 7 string guitar.
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Guitar: 1991 Vista Strat.
    Good: I like the thick neck, its really easy to play.
    Bad: I bought it way used and theres little dents all over it. Total wire mess inside. The volume doesn't work sometimes witch i can fix, just haven't yet.
    I hate the knobs. They just make me mad, thats the big problem with it.
    Fixs: Replace Knobs, sotter the wires better.
  8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My guitar:
    2000 MIA American Standard Strat - Bought new
    Black with white pickguard and maple neck/fretboard.
    Great guitar! Action is low, no fretbuzz. Intonation is great. Had it set up 2 years ago, no problems since.

My Guitar:
    1972 Ovation Balladeer Acoustic - Bought new 12/72!!
    What can I say? This baby gives vintage Martin's and Gibson's a run for the money. It just rings and rings :cool: Had minor repair and setup done in 1975 - Never touched since!
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The only thing that bugs me about them is that...
    I'm not really too fond of the natural Strat because it's got the 3-way switch, instead of the 5-way, but I don't care too much for Strats, anyhow. I'm not happy with the SG right now because I need to do some fretwork on it. The old D28 is getting on my nerves right now, too, because I've got to carve a new saddle. And yes, I'm ashamed to say, that even though this list includes my parents' guitars as well, I do own more guitars than basses. :bawl:
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Black '91 Ibanez rg-570. Very fine guitar, replaced the pickups with a PAF and a Fred. The frets are a little large, locking Trem set-up is a hassle, takes a while to re-string it, but the guitar is mint, even though I've played it since I bought it. Yes, it's set up to play very fast.

Surf-Green MIM Fender Stratocaster '99. Plays fine, not a nick on it. What stinks is trying to adjust the truss rod. You'd have to take the pick-guard with pick-ups on it off of the guitar off to do it. I'm thinking about modding the PG like the P-Basses are to get at the rod.

'93 Martin D-28. Lovely tone, a great acoustic. It pro-jects a little too well. You don't have to "dig-in" to get tone out of it. Rosewood and Spruce, can't go wrong. Mahogany or Maple sides & back may be better for a "stage" guitar. Gassing for a 00 type, or some thin body acoustic.

Guild 1993 Jumbo 12 string. Same as the Martin with the tone. Rosewood and spruce. I have it in a C-6 tuning. (low to high) c-g-c-g-c-d. The "Rain Song" tuning. A great guitar.
    All guitars bought new off the rack. What fun!
  11. I have 3 guitars:

90's MIJ Squier Strat (Wayne's World 2 Model!) Anywa, replaced pups with Fender Texas Specials, replaced white pickguard with balck-white-black. Love this guitar. Only bad thing was the trem.....had this screwed flat (never used it!)

ESP LTD EXP-200. Explorer copy with bolt on neck (set neck would have been nice - but more expensive). Only thing that I'll change is the pickups sometime - it has Duncan Design HBs in it now....want a proper set of EMGs in there!

Yamaha APX-5A (I think). Nice Electro Acoustic.....I like it, but too much adjustment on the pre-amp and huge bassy feedback - other than that it's nice to play!

Problem with all guitars - the string are so thing it feel like playing cheesewire......... :(
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Music-related (hard to believe, I know). Moved to Misc.

I love my job :D
  13. The Guitar:Cheap department store acoustic made in the 1950's

What I hate about it:Its a cheap department store acoustic made in the 1950's. That translates to "The factory was located overseas and staffed by laborers who were probably trying to make coffee tables".

The guitars:Gibson ES-325TD, Gibson ES-330TD

What I hate about them:They howl with feedback even at volumes commonly associated with very somber funerals.

The guitar:Gibson ES-320N

What I hate about it:Its a better microphone than a guitar.

The guitar:Gibson ES 355

What I hate about it:previous owner was a total idiot. Broken headstock, snapped truss rod, hole punched in body's back, missing binding, black spray paint over original cherry finish and more.

The guitar:Gibson Les Paul

What I hate about it:Bunch of switches and knobs that seem to have no use whatsoever. Has a microphone input (?!) on the body, and no matter what amp you play it through, it sounds muffled. If its not stock, all the useless crud is very well installed. If it is indeed stock, its proof that Gibson has made some very bad decisions.

The guitar:Likely Pirated Mosrite Ventures

What I hate about it:Really nasally sound. Fret tang is a very odd size, so when I refretted it I had to spend an hour or so shaping fret tangs with a dremel.

The guitar:Rickenbacker 480

What I hate about it:Very noisy with distortion. Has no real character.

The guitar:Ovation Viper

What I hate about it:When it was stolen the cops found it. I don't think I could describe my hatred for its sound and playability with language, even the incredibly dirty variety.

The guitar:peavey Vandenberg

What I hate about it:Everytime I pull it from the case some cheesy hair metal song goes through my head.

The guitar:Mutt Telecaster

What I hate about it:One of my friends bought two teles and tossed together a really nice playing and sounding guitar from half of the parts. This one isn't it.

The guitar:parts guitar, various sources

What I hate about it:It has 5 years max before I need to retire it.
  14. The guitarist in my band has the white Ibanez Jem Steve Vai rep. He's spent a LOT of money on it getting it professionally set-up, etc., and when I play on it I just can't play it properly. It's far too easy to play, but also I can't give it any beans. With my bass, I can play as hard as I like, but with that it's just too...ornamental to rock on completely.

So yeah, I don't like it 'cos it's too good :p

PS. I don't like my acoustic 'cos the headstock's fallen off...
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The Guitar:

2002 Gretsch Electromatic

It has some funky bridge, so when I take all the strings off, a part of it just falls off until I re-string it. :p

Sounds sexy though/
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Guitar: Seagull S6 (I think)
    What I hate about it: Previous NAMM guitar that was played WAY TOO HARD by some idiot with a heavy pick. It looks awful - front finish totally ****ed!!! Sounds and plays so sweet though.

Guitar: Kramer USA mid-80's Beretta
    What I hate about it: (1) same thing BigMcLargehuge notices about his Vanderberg. (2) poorly maintained Floyd Rose tremolo with crossthreaded "B" satring makes it almost impossible to tune.
  17. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Allright, well. My strat is now awesome except for the crappy finish it now has. Oh well. It sounds great though!
  18. I really like my mid-nineties MIJ Strat, but sometimes those single-coils drive me crazy. I do lots of homereccing on my PC and since I don´t have a TFT monitor it hums like hell when I use single PU positions... which happen to be the ones I like most. I know there are noiseless PUs and stuff to get around this but I´m too lazy and broke...
  19. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Me too!

'00 MIM Strat

What I hate about this guitar: tremolo bridge. I removed the trem bar and it'll never go back on. I have put the 4th and 5th springs back on for extra sustain. That and a set of D'addario 10's and it's tone-city (my vintage 1964 Gibson amp helps that out a bit tho). My next Strat will be a MIA hardtail (tobacco sunburst).

90's Yamaha FG400 acoustic - hate: made of plywood, sounds like plywood - but it was free. Intonation on the g-string is awful.

'80s Ibanez G-series acoustic - hate: been severely abused over the last 20 years and the bridge is starting to lift causing action to be very high and almost unplayable. Fortunately, the high action is perfect for playing slide. Intonation on the g-string is awful on this one, too.
  20. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    my twanger list....

LTD EC-1000 Eclipse
    Killer guitar with seymour duncans (JB59s if I remember) and is super light for a Les Paul ripoff... only issue with it is the second volume knob is screwed up

MIM Fender Vintage 60's Players Strat
    The only thing I dislike about all strats is the location of the volume knob... too close and I rub it all the time when I play! But this strat is a great Sonic Blue (I think) with a rosewood board... and the Texas Special pickups in it are killer...

80's MIJ Fender Tele
    Maple neck, yellowed finish, enough dings to make it look super cool, and it is a great playing guitar... Only issue is the switch, which is screwed up and will be replaced by the weekend!

'92 Washburn MG70
    This is my wanking guitar, and is just a screaming rock guitar... I put a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge, and probably should have left the stock pickup in it... it has noise ever since! It also has the volume knob where the Strat knob is, so it gets in the way. It has a Floyd Rose trem, but I am used to taking care of a Floyd, from playing guitar in metal bands in the 80's. My wife bought me this guitar as a present about 8 years ago, and you couldn't pay me enough to let loose of it...