Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Question for all of you six-stringers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeCayING, Apr 24, 2004.

1. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    I know that on a standards four-string that the strings are known as" G-first string, D-second string, A-third string, and E-fourth string. And if you have a five-string, then it's B-fifth string.

But what about the high C? IS it known as the sixth string, or is it know as the first string making everything rearranged?

-josh

2. ya know, i never thought about that....

i never really refer to my strings by numbers or deal with anyone who doesnt know what my strings are tuned to so its not an issue with me.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I thought about that sometime, but only as to prove that the "first string - G, second string..." approach is totally wrong... There is no "first string". If a G is the 1st for you, then its only a 2nd for me, and of someone plays a 7, then it would be a 3rd - and that would be an A for you in that way. So this way is totally obsolote. It only worked at a time when there were almost exclusively 4stringers around

4. I call the B string the 5th, and C the 6th. Most know what that means if you are speaking of a 5 or 6 stringer. Those strings are 'extras', on top of the first four.

5. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    I see what you're saying, and I agree. Thanks for everyone's help.

6. Ditto!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Diek

Diek

May 25, 2003
    Nah. Just call the C string the zeroth string, and the F the -1st string and there will be no confusion. :D

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:D :D