Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question for all teachers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cassanova, Jun 4, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Hey guys,

I'll make this as brief as possible. I am supposed to give a lesson to a student on Thursday nights for 2 hours. I was given advanced notice that the student wouldn't be able to do her lesson that day, then was told she'd be able to do it on Friday. Well its now Friday 8 pm, and the student still is'nt back yet. This isn't the first time shes had to miss a lesson either, its starting to happen more and more. I was thinking about submitting a bill for the 2 hours to her parents anyway because I was told she'd be home and it's a total waste of my time now. The only thing that is stopping me so far is that the parents/family are good friends of mine.

I feel like it would it be unethical of me to submit a bill for the no show (even though thats not my problem) since I didn't exactly render the service I was hired to do.

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm no teacher, but it seems more 'unethical' for her to waste your time and flake out on a scheduled commitment.

If I buy tickets to a concert and don't end up going, I still have to pay the credit card bill...

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yep. also difficult that you're friends with the parents. Maybe just say to them that you've got some other folks interested in lessons and that if she isn't going to be able to make her appointments you sure could use it for somebody else? Then maybe they'll realize that it's kinda important to be there. :)

4. Type up a policy sheet and hand it out to all your students and their parents. Include that they forfeit their lesson charge if they no-show or cancel with less than 24 hours notice. Then you can cut them slack on a case-by-case basis if you're feeling nice.

That's what my teacher does and it works like a charm. I've only missed once (I called less than 24 hours in advance) and I still paid for it, but my teacher usually gives me 10 minutes of extra time at my lessons, so it all evens out.

You might cut them some slack on this one since you don't have a policy in place.

Also, food for thought, why does your friendship necessarily mean they get to do that to you? Why doesn't your friendship mean to *them* that your time and talents deserve respect and remuneration?

If you're making the time to be there and they don't show, it's not fair to you. If you let them do it with no consequence, they'll just do it again.

-Mike

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Good points. They are actually getting a very discounted rate for thier lessons. Its also not the 1st time something like this has happend. Im hoping that by submitting a bill this time that it will curb the problem.

BTW....I already wrote up a nice professional letter to submit to her parents before any replies came about in this thread. Im trying to differentiate this as purely business, I only hope they will too.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Well I wound up submitting a bill for the no show yesterday and all it did was wound up ticking off the parents and put some unwanted/unnessessary tension on the friendship. The step-dad wants to talk to me about it today, and he's definatly not happy.

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, seems like there is some miscommunication about the value of your time. :eyebrow: Good luck...

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Stand your ground, man. Even if you end up not making them pay for the lessons that she didn't show up for this time, you should still impress upon them that you a) cut her a really good deal because they were friends, and b) expect her and them not to abuse that friendship by wasting your time.

You could also start making your students pay on a monthly basis. That way, even if they don't show up, you've still got your money.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Well the bill I submit cost me 2 students, I wont be gettin the $20 for the missed lesson and I got stiffed $20 for a lesson I gave durring the week.

Its my own fault, I broke my #1 rule and didnt get everything put in writing before hand. WHy? Because they were "friends"

10. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That sucks man, what a bum deal.