1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Question For All You Seattleites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Hello Seattle!

I may be planning a trip out your way in the coming year (for a business meeting) or so and I have a question or two. I have been a big fan of Nirvana and pretty much the entire grunge movement ever since it began in the 1980s and was wondering...

Are there any former locations or hot spots to go to that still have (even though it was ONLY 20 years or so ago) some of that old flair?

For example, are there any buildings, venues, or unique spots where an old Nirvana poster might be? Where an early show might have happened? Writing on the wall from Kurt or someone else? Is there anything worth seeing in general that would make a fan like myself really interested in? I know the city of Aberdeen has a website which has a page on the places that Kurt lived and or went to, but what else is out there?

If anyone needs any more clarification for what I am trying to say, let me know! I know this may seem funny to some of you, but for someone such as myself who has always been so interested in the culture over there, it is a whole new world! This also pertains to Mudhoney and other bands who were touring with them at the time, I have always been a huge fan of them too..

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
  3. Looks really cool! Thanks!

If anyone else has anything to add, please do!

4. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    Yea I went to the EMP exhibit, it was great and I'm only a marginal Nirvana fan

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Stop by Beth's Cafe. Cobain used to work there, some of his handwritten letters/poems hang on the wall, and they have a killer 12 egg omelette that is served on a garbage can lid.

If you really dig Cobain, then go to another joint called Linda's Tavern on Capital Hill. Supposedly it is the last place Cobain was seen alive. Although I think it is way more trendy now than back in those days.

You should also head down to Olympia and check out the Capital Theater. I saw Nirvana play there a few times waaaaayyyyyy back in the day. While in Olympia, stop by Music 6000. They have some Cobain stuff hanging on the walls.

-Mike

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I've lived here since 1961 and am likely the longest term Seatle resident on this forum. I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasum about Nirvana but I think you'll enjoy your visit here a lot more if just come and see the city for what it is now - There is very little of Nirvana to see here.
    If you should take a trip out to Aberdeen you'll no doubt see quite a bit more, but then do yourself a favor and drive north out of town on U.S.101 and take the long way back to Seattle - It's an incredibly beautiful drive thru Rain Forest, mountains and the rugged coast, nothing else like it anywhere!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh, here comes Mr. I'm Older Than Anyone Else So I Know More About Seattle....fancy pants.

:D

-Mike