A question for all you U.K. folk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jan 18, 2002.

1. i want to start buying bass magazines for obvious reasons :rolleyes: but none of my local shops have any magazines totaly devoted to bass :mad: (there are a couple with small referances to basses every now and then but thats not what i want)

so my question is do n e of u know any good mags i can subscribe to (preferably with a website so i can check them out first) thanx alot!

2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm afraid that the only dedicated bass magazine readily available in the UK is 'Bass Player', which is an American magazine. You can find it in most high street WHSmiths. The problem with it is that it usually has reviews of equipment that you just can't get over here, and interviews with bassists that we've never really heard of in the UK. There isn't much in the way of transcriptions either. They do have a website:

There used by a British magazine called 'Bassist', but that finished about eighteen months ago when it "merged" with 'Guitarist'. I bought 'Guitarist' for the first couple of issues after the "merger", but the ever-decreasing amount of bass coverage in it just didn't justify the £4.99 to me. Check out the classifieds at the back of 'Guitarist' - you might find that someone's selling a collection of old 'Bassist' magazines: this would be a great buy, as there was lots of useful stuff in each issue.

There is a free web-based magazine at www.globalbass.com. They sometimes have some interesting articles.

I use TalkBass to get most of my information nowadays.

3. thanx 4 all the info. Shame about that mag huh?

p.s i've checked and my local WHSith doesn't have bassplayer

4. Bass Player is available at larger WHSmith's and Borders, and some small newsagents.

on the last copy I bought (from Borders), the current "Portrait of Jaco" issue, the price seems to have gone up to £4.25 :mad:

there's no UK suggested price on the cover now, so the distributors can charge what price they like, it seems:mad: :mad: :mad:
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've never actually bought 'Bass Player' before - I tend to just have a quick flick through it every now and again. I am definately going to pick up the new issue with Jaco on the cover though!
  6. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Go down to Clacton-on-sea on a Saturday. It has a market there and they usaully sell Bass Player there (although a issue behind) for a bout 35p!!!! Bargin!
  7. I'm sure you could ask W H Smiths or your local newsagents to get a copy of Bass Player for you.

Ditto the suggestions about the ads in Guitarist. I used to subscribe to Bassist - in fact I have every issue bar 2 or 3 since it started, but I still use them for reference so wouldn't part with them.

I think Guitarist still does do a bit for bassists but I too gave up on getting it regularly as the articles became fewer.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got it at Borders in Brighton for £4.25 as well - I was thinking it was a steep rise as well! I have a feeling that Smiths have stopped stocking it - I work in London and was looking in all the big ones - like at Victoria Station and they didn't have it. Borders stocks loads of Magazines -especially US ones - that nobody else does. I usually read them over a coffee and don't bother buying!

I agree about "Bassist and Bass Techniques" - I have every issue and won't part with them. I think this is why TB is popular now - (with me anyway!) it substitutes for a decent local magazine. Our own Steve Lawson used to write for Bassist - and we can ask him questions here now instead! ;)
  9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    W.H. Smiths in Brent Cross still stock it.
    Last one I bought (2 weeks ago) was £3.25
  10. Bruce Lindfield

I think it's time to update your sig. - shouldn't you be in Cuba by now!?! :D
  11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Oh Man,
    ........They told me we were goin to Disney....
  12. I was in The Bass Centre, Wapping today, and they have the Jaco issue on sale for £3.25! :mad: :mad: :mad:

but there's a new UK Bass only magazine coming out next month called "Bass Guitar Magazine".
    the text and layout on the info sheet at the Bass Centre looks very similar to how Bassist did- I wouldn't be surprised if it's being done by ex-writers for Bassist- a bit odd as Bassist went under due to not enough people buying it.
    first issue will have an interview with Chris Wolstenholme of Muse.
  13. do u know what date the mag is coming out on?
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Actually Steve Lawson said on here, that that was not the case. He said that the reader numbers (or copies sold) were pretty much the same throughout its life. The problem was that they coudn't get the advertisers - that is, enough advertising revenue, to keep the magazine a going concern.

I look forward to a new mag though!
  15. this new mag must have got enough advertisers together then.
    I think a problem with advertising in Bassist was that some guitar shops didn't want to pay out for advertising in both Guitarist and Bassist, and to split the ad into guitar only and bass only versions, and ended up just advertising in Guitarist only instead.
    no idea,
    but here's their contact email;
  16. Bruce Lindfield

I suppose the problem is that they will have got enough advertising for the "launch", but that it will be difficult to sustain this for every month or whatever.

I think that in England there was a point in time where there was a lot of interest in bass and new designs and ideas - mutistrings etc. - were appearing and loads of new manufacturers entered the market, so a magazine just for bass was justified.

But going around shops in Brighton and London now, there is not the same interest and while there are huge amounts of guitar and guitar-related gear; the bass side has declined considerably.

So - my local shop now has loads of guitars costing £2,000 - £3,000 or more. PRS, Parker Fly, US Gibsons and even Acoustic guitars costing £4,000!! Loads of guitar amps and effects and really high-end gear. The same for keyboards and DJ gear.
    BUT - a sorry collection of basses tucked away in a corner, a few Fenders, Warwicks (chepear ones!) and Ibanez basses - one or two amps and nothing "high-end" or more than a £1,000.

So I'm not sure that bass-selling nowadays, needs or can justify a magazine?
  17. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    yeah, mr mock turtle, icouldnt get that issue in WH smiths si i had to buy it from borders for an extra pound, i think it is juts borders that has bumbed up the price, i odnt think it is the magazine,

i also dont think that the magazine is all that worth buying some issues,

you ever noticed that all the quipment is rated top for value!!
  18. Bass Player doesn't make the huge number of glaring mistakes that Bassist used to- Bassist said that John Deacon of Queen played with "fingers only- never a pick" in one article, and with "fingers and pick" IN THE SAME ISSUE.
    they also said that Bernard Edwards used a pick to play "Everybody dance", and that Rocco Prestia was using Peavey basses- (at the time he was using a Fender Precision Deluxe)- and that Jason Newsted was posing with a Fender on the front cover (it was a Sadowsky).

Bass Player's gear reviews are usually more thorough than Bassists's used to be, although sometimes the scores are a bit suspect..
    also sometimes they do really dumb things like they did with the Renz Mute boxes- they tested them by dropping them onto a hard floor.
    of course they still worked- all they had inside was 2 sockets, a footswitch and some wire.

the new Bass Guitar Magazine is priced at £2.80.
    who would everyone like to see them interview?

my nominees are;
    Simon Gallup (The Cure)
    Peter Hook (New order/Joy Division/monaco)
    Andy Fraser (Free)
    Alex James (Blur)
    John Taylor (Duran Duran)- Bassist's interview with him was a bit rubbish considering how respected his playing is in the U.S.
  19. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Well I'm pretty sure Bernard Edwards used a pick for this song. I've read it from various sources, and when you listen to the record it really sounds like a pic. Some say he was using flatwounds. That doesn't mean the guy didn't know how to use his fingers ! Bernard was a monster player. IMHO he's one of the greatest.

20. I stand corrected if he really did use a pick on that song- but to me it sounds like aggressive fingerstyle playing with a lot of fret contact.

another player I'd like to see interviewed;
    Andy Rourke (The Smiths).