Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Question for all you wiring fanatics ---- The Coil Tap Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stroy05, Apr 14, 2001.

1. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Does anyone know how to install a Coil Tap switch. I am getting new Aero Dual Coil Humbucking pickups for my bass and they are going to be wired so I will be able to switch between single coil and dual coil. But the problem is how do I wire my electronics so I can acheive this. I would like to be able to switch between the both by a push/pull on the volume pot.

If you don't know how to acheive this please send me to a website where I can find my solution to my problem.

Thanks you all

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Although it seems most people refer to what you want as a coil tap, technically speaking, a coil tap reduces the number of coils in a pickup that are going to the output. In other words, your pickup might have an output of 11k ohms, and a coil tap switch would tap the coil so that the output would be only 8k ohms. As I understand it, what you are looking for is a coil cut switch.

Stew-Mac has a page on their site called "Wiring 101" which explains lots about wiring. Good luck!

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    check out the Bartolini web site. There's a document on this somewhere. While it pertains to their pickups, I assume it will be helpful for the aeros, too.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm planning to install humbuckers in a bass I'm building with a three way mini-toggle so I can choose between outer coils-all coils-inner coils.

Are you planning to wire this into a pre-amp? If so, which one?

4. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It is going into a preamp. But Larry at Aero told me the pickups would sound fantastic in a passive setting.

Right now the bass has a Bartolini pre with volume - blend - mid - treble - bass - mid select toggle switch.

It will be getting a bartolini pre with volume - blend - bass/treble stack with q switch for each pickup (mid boost, flat, mid/treble boost).

I have played Fodera's with the coil tap switch that comes with their seymour/fodera dual coil pickups. I love that feature. you can get that standard jazz bass sound and get that fat dual coil sound out of one bass. It is like two basses in one. It is outstanding. I love it. So that is what I want on my bass.

5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Here's the URL I was thinking of earlier. It is instructions for wiring in various toggles. The descriptions in the Bartolini HTML support your "two basses in one" idea and that greatly intrigues me.

I'm interested in having a set of Bartolini's dual coil M4 pickups attached to their 5.3 AP harness (vol., vol., bass, mid, treble w/ 3 band mid mini toggle and push/pull active/passive) and adding to that another mini 3-way toggle to allow various coils to allow either outer, inner, or all 4 coils to be tapped.

http://www.bartolini.net/1_wirngs/4cnd_sw1.htm

6. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Thanks that is a lot of help