A question for any Irish using/are a teacher.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tzetze, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Not sure if this is in the right place but;

After finally scoring a job that starts in the New Year, I want to start taking lessons.

I've done a lot of searching for bass teachers in Ireland in my area (Co. Monaghan), but have found nothing. Anyone know of any that may be close? Ideally, I'd like to travel as little as possible.

I'm keeping an eye on the Buy & Sell also, but so far that's yielding nothing.
  2. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Whoa, hate to break it to ya but its next to impossible to find GOOD bass teachers in Ireland, most of them are guitarists who kinda play bass on the side.

I'd say your best bet is to keep your eye on buy and sell, occassionally an ad will pop up in it, also try any music shops in your area, generally most music teachers can be contacted via your local shop.

Failing that start going to gigs as much as you can (I'm talking professional cover band gigs), most of the best bassists I know can be found making a decent living doing this and they're generally very approachable...you never know you might find a bass teacher from one of these guys.

If you were in Dublin I'd suggest going to wicklow street and checking out musician, perfect pitch or musicmaker, these places always have music teacher ads in the windows.

best of luck
  3. Most of the teachers are all guitar players who reckon they can play bass. Im lucky i have a very talented guitar teacher who does know what hes doing, though you do have to spend a lot of time studying alone e.g. history of the bass, weird techniques etc
    good luck
  4. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah i'd also recommend checking out music maker or musician, also take a look in Walton's Music Store its just up from The Garden Of Rememberance (i'm terrible with street names!) in Dublin, i was in there before xmas and they've alot of instructional bass books.

If all else fails you could try amazon.co.uk for instructional books.
  5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Sorry I can't be of any help, but I've just moved into the Dublin area from New York and have been having the same problems finding a teacher. If I do find anything I'll post it here.

The good news is that my bass arrived today (after a 5 week wait) as I had it shipped seperate to the rest of my stuff - the moving company had done a brilliant job packing it - it was in its hardshell case inside a cardboard box inside a custom made crate made from 1" thick ply and 1/2" thick cardboard. Arrived perfectly - I even managed to get out of work early to come home and play it for the last 5 hours hahahaha !

6. You know what strange thought popped in my mind after reading this thread?

Since I love traveling, and I'm a practicing bass player...why not move to Ireland, find a job under the table and bring my bass? If bassists are that much in shortage in Ireland maybe it would be easy to find many bands to play with. And maybe even learn how to play celtic music on my bass.

Sound like a bad idea?
  7. go for it mr lime! even if it doesnt work out at least you tried eh? man that would be sooooo cool!
  8. Just make sure you move to the Co. Monaghan area, and become my teacher Harry (at very reasonable rates of course!) ;)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm still looking by the way. I hardly ever get to Dublin, so haven't been able to check the notices in the large music shops. Still checking the Buy & Sell regularly.

I'm still stuck against the same wall as far as bass playing goes.
  9. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    well Tzetze,
    Because there's a bit of shortage of bassists in Ireland, there's more chance of financial success to market yourself as a guitar teacher rather than just focusing on bass alone.
    I reckon there's plenty of good bass teachers out there, it's probably just a case of phoning the ones that say " guitar and bass teacher" and interogating them on their bass knowledge (in your best nazi accent to sound intimidating)

......or you could do what I do: internet, books, and www.talkbass.com

Tzetze, you're a B####RD, you live closer to my girlfriend than I do!

10. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    :eek: Hate to break it to ye guys theres no shortage of bassists here in Ireland at all, the problem is all the good ones are either working session guys or are gigging full time and as such dont have the time/inclination to teach.

Since I started gigging full time I'm still constantly amazed at how good and how high the standard of bass playing is here, considering we have no Berklees or MITs.
  11. Hey Rex, I think you made a typo in your personal info. It's Gundalk, not Fundalk! :p

j/k ;)

dude, we're practically neighbours!!
  12. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    yeah you better be joking, or you know what'll happen... i know where you live :)
    still, at least I'm not from Drogheda

oh, by the way.... no typo in my personal info, I was being hilariously witty and ironic
    *rimshot* :)

Murf, I'm sure you're right it's just that my town is full of little scumbag kurt/korn wannabes....most of the band's bassists are just dumb friends that wanted to be in a band

gratuitous plug: listen out for a band called Redtwelve soon (my brother's band)

le grá,