Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question for any luthiers in the philadelphia/new jersey area.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by meltsakana, Dec 29, 2004.

1. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    Hello!
    I am working on building daxophones. Click here to learn about the daxophone: http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/photos/idax.html. I've been interested in them for some time, and finally got my first chance to experiment after visiting David King in Portland, and collecting a bunch of his scrap wood. I've had good results, but I need more wood to make more daxophone keys.

Rather than buying more wood, I'm wondering if any luthiers who live close to me would be willing to let me look through their scrap wood, and take pieces of appropriate dimensions. I live in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania, and I can travel as far as 2 hours by car.

2. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    oh, fudge! bump? anyone?

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You might want to contact Ken Smith to ask him. It's a possibility, although I would fully understand it if he didn't have the time or patience for people to go through his "trash" wood (which he uses for heating). He's about 50 miles out of Philly.