A Question For Anybody Who Ever Uses A Pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Feb 6, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    whenever you use a pick do you hold it between your thumb and index finger or your thumb, index, and middle finger? or maybe another way? i hold it between my thumb, index, and middle. is there a better way to hold it?
  2. This question made me grab my pick lol, I never actually thought about how i hold it, so it's new for me too :)

Well, i hold it between my thumb and index finger.

I don't know it thats a better way, or even if any way of holding it is better than another, It's propably all personal prefferences, play the way you feel most comfortable.
  3. I hold it pretty weird. Put your hand into a fist, then hold the pick on the first joint on your finger above the knuckle with your pick, its alot easier to do then explain. But the thumb and index finger is the best way to hold it.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Me too.....and I've used the pick for decades, (although I've used just my fingers almost exclusively for a long time).

As bassed says - do whatever feels right for you and allows you to achieve what you are trying to accomplish on the bass.

Chris Squire has one of the oddest picking methods known to man...........and look where it took him!
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i hold it between my index finger and thumb

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Thumb and the side of my index finger.
    I use a thin (red) Sharkfin pick, and try do emulate Frank Gambale's speed (econonmy) picking, not rigid alternate picking.
  7. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    i hold it between my thumb, index, and middle. to me it's more comfortable then between my thumb and index. and it gets the job done. one of my guitarist friends says i will eventually switch to the index and thumb method. what do you think? i've been playing that way for 6 months now and i don't think i'll change but i guess i don't know.
  8. i use thumb index and middle. supposedly thumb and index is the "right" way, and it's probably better for right hand muting, but this is not so much of an issue on bass. besides, i think my way offers better control, i've never broken a string, and i almost never drop a pick.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you've ever taken guitar lessons this is the way they teach as the "proper" way to hold a pick. This is how I hold my pick as well, it works.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hendrix only needed 32........(his teeth).