Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question for both Steve Lawson and Michael Manring

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by superbassman2000, Jul 30, 2005.

1. you two are both geniuses at the ebow...do you both just use a stock ebow? or did you get any modifications to it? i heard a rumor about an 18 volt mod, so i thought i'd go straight to the source!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi SBM2000

Both Michael and I use a standard EBow Plus for most things. I only have the Ebow plus. Michael is curator of the world's only Ebow museum, so has access to lots of weirdness Ebows, and Greg the inventor has been threatening to send me a prototype or two for a couple of years, but for now, I'm just using a standard one. And, to be honest, there's so much amazing music in the ordinary one that it's hardly neccesary to replace it with something else. Though, obviously, I'd be happy to try. :)

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    I must admit, I laughed heartily at the "museum" comment. Hahaha!

I have an Ebow from the early '90s, and I have a new one. I like the new one better (which is good because I can't find the old one anymore). I usually just keep it on the normal setting. Like maestro Steve said, there's just so much to explore with the basics.

4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    would that prototype be a more bass oriented ebow?

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm not sure what the modifications were, but I don't think there was anything bass specific involved, given that the current ebow works fantastically well on bass. It's just not easy - think of it like a whole new technique, you're not about to learn how to slap, or play walking bass or strum chords effectively in a week, so try taking the same long form view of the Ebow. :)

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I guess I have garnered quite a collection of Ebows! Greg, the inventor, has made quite a few different versions over the years and somehow I’ve ended up with at least one of just about all of them. I have to say though, the current version is my favorite.

Years ago Greg leant me a prototype Ebow with string spacing designed for bass. Since I’m very comfortable playing with the stock, off-the-shelf Ebows it really didn’t do much for me and I gave it back. I didn’t discourage him from marketing a bass model, but I did tell him that it wasn’t something I was interested in. Like Steve, I find the current model works so well I don’t feel the need for anything else!

7. well, after listening to you two guy's recording, i finally got one, and after playing with it a while, i can do it on bass...thanks for the inspiration! i really like this little contraption!