Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Question for Brad (and others)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brooks, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a chance to get a very nice Fender Custom Shop Jazz, with matching headstock, looks kinda like a '75 reissue for under $1500. In terms of resale value, which would you go for?

That Fender Jazz
    A Mike Lull for $1200
    Matt Pulcinella for a $1000?

They are all fine Jazz-type basses, and I can't seem to make up my mind.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad would grab all 3.

:D

My .02 doesn't matter here-
    I don't buy basses for 're-sale' value...
    So, I'd buy the one that has the 'better' tone(to my ear) + the one that felt the best in my hands.

I sell nothing.
    (Except those two 5-string basses).
    ;)

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You'd get far more responses in the Basses forum, which is where I'll move this.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'm in the Middle East, basses are in the USA...no way to try them. From what I have read about them, I'd probably like the tone of all 3, so it's down to resale value for me.

5. If it's the resale value you're after,
    I would think that $1200 lull is pretty much you're safe/best choice

6. In my experience, the Lulls don't have great resale value. The CS Fender might do better if the time comes just because of the name and the "Custom Shop" thing.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hi Brooks,

If this is what you have it narrowed down to, the big question is what kind of vibe are you after? If it's a Fender Jazz vibe I'd go after the Custom Shop.

Under no circumstance would I get all three;)

Just for fun, give us some more info on your scenario. What are you after, strictly a four string, two pickup bass? Does active or passive make a difference? Stuff like that.

This is the best buyers market I've ever seen... people are giving stuff away. I've seen Pulcinellas hang around at $800, which is no reflection on his basses, I think they're fine.

As Funky said (and he should know as someone who owned and sold one) the Lulls are pretty soft on the resale market too.

You may want to keep this in mind, some high end gear is selling in the price range of these three basses. A few months ago I bought a 5 string F Bass with upgrade finish for $1600. Last week I found another F Bass, a BN5 for $1450. The three basses you've listed probably don't come close to an F bass IMO with the possible exception of the Fender CS (who knows what it plays and sounds like?). There are similar deals on Warriors, Stambaughs, Roscoes, etc.

That's where I'd look but of course in your situation, not playing them first could be an issue but from a resale point of view you're buying at what appears to be the bottom of the market. I don't expect to see F's selling for $1200 any time soon. The Roscoe 7 that just sold on eBay was a ridiculous deal IMO.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Thanks for a comprehensive response. I have '75 Jazz that I fitted with CS 60's pups and a J-Retro that sounds awesome.

I wanted a second 4-string Jazz bass that would be passive, have a slim Jazz neck (1.5" at the nut) and probably fitted with TI Jazz Flats (the current one has steel rounds on it). I'd forget all 3 of the basses I found if I could locate a BN4 with nice finish and a rosewood board, but after looking for months I haven't found any.

What attracts me to CS Fender is the resale value and the fact that I could easily change the pups or turn it into an active bass - in other words, I can change the tone to my liking. I know that fit/finish would be great on a Custom Shop bass. I also know that Lull and Pulcinella make great basses....it's a tough choice.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd also look into used MIJ Fenders like the Geddy Lee or the 75 reissue. I know the Marcus Miller aesthetically is a bit much for some people but it's another option. I've been very impressed with the Japanese Fenders, fit and finish is excellent as is sound and playability. I helped a guy pick out a bass yesterday in a local store (I'm a non-commissioned, non-employed unofficial advisor;)).

He was just getting back in the game and was looking at a few MIM Jazzes, a newer Peavey Fury 5 (nice bass) and a few other things, all around $300-$400. I suggested he take a look at a very clean Marcus Miller they had. For a little over $500 he walked out happy, with a bass he could sell for what he had into it, in case it didn't work out. I think the used MIJ Jazzes are some of the best bargains going.

10. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Check your Private Messages