Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question for Brendan...and anyone else with a spare opinion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 9, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Brendan -

Awhile back, you mentioned you were getting a Digitech RP100. Did you, and are you using it for bass?

I'm looking for a headphone amp with a few effects, and have been underwhelmed so far by my bass Pandora (too small and fiddly, and I don't like the controls - I wish it had a pedal jack). I plan on using the thing on 'phones in my living room 90% of the time, for travel on 'phones about 5% of the time, and as a pedal into an amp for playing with friends only about 5% of the time. I may just pick up one of those damn "bass in a box" things and be done with it.

I usually use my Pandora "dry" or with minimal effects. My (newbie to effects) concern is how well are bass freqs handled by the current generation of guitar processors? I downloaded the manual for the RP100, but there's no mention of freq range. There's conflicting advice about using guitar effects for bass here in the archive - it seems to be a unit-by-unit thing. There was some comment that the newer digital devices may work better, because they might have a wider passband.

I also see that Korg has the AX1B, but I was not impressed by the physical quality of one that I saw. I don't think the case would live long with my size 13s and 300+ pounds. Also, it's kinda big for business travel. Am I being too picky?

I have a thirty day return privilege on the Pandora, and just 'aint happy with it. My budget is under $200. More than one person has told me that a guitar effects unit should work fine for what I'm doing, but more than one person has said it will sound like crap. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

2. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    The RP-100 might suit your needs, but I think you would be happier with a "bass in the box" headphone thing. My wife bought the RP-100 to play with her guitar and she took it back after a week. It was kind of fun and it did alot of things OK but nothing really swell. It would be difficult to use in a live situation as far as we were concerned, but that doesn't seem to be a concern of yours. I never plugged my bass into it.

-halfnote

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nope. I'm sorry I did not. Niuce to see my name in a thread title though...

4. Have you looked at the Zoom 506 mkII?

Pros: Can be used as a pedal or a headphone amp, ac or battery powered, lots of effects + built in tuner, excellent value for money.

Cons: Sounds are not 'studio quality' and you can usually only adjust one parameter for the effects.

I'm not sure what it costs in the US but it cost me £70 - about the same as a single BOSS pedal.

check it out: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/index.html

5. If you're into DIY, check out:

http://www.sound.au.com/project70.htm

I'd write the owner of the ESP project pages; he understands instruments and can probably explain how to tweak the Death of Zen headphone amp to work with a bass (if tweakage is even needed). PCBs are available for his kits on the site.