1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question for Duratex users.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell2, Jul 18, 2012.

1. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I am going to cover a pair of very old but structurally sound TL-606 (tl 606, tl606) cabinets with Duratex.

One cab has no corners installed and one does. Neither have handles.

Should I drill for the corners and handles before I apply the Duratex or will I be able to drill through the coating once it's applied and dry?

Thanks!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Drill after you apply. You won't have any problems, and if you drill beforehand the Duratex will just fill and cover them anyway.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes drill after the duratex has been applied. Using a brad point drill bit will avoid any chipping, although anything drilled will be covered so it really isn't an issue.

On the cab with the corners, test fit the corners before you apply the duratex to make sure they fit. If you over sanded, the round over along the edge may not be the same. If it isn't you can build it up with bondo or a filler before applying the coating.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1 to both responses.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I actually drill pilot holes for all the hardware beforehand. Screws go right into the holes nice and clean after the coating is done. This way you don't have to mark on or risk messing up the finish. Just know where your holes are as they can be difficult to find for things like feet and skid rails.

Take your time applying it and you can get some really nice results.

6. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    Cool idea. I vote for drilling pilots for corners afterwards. Duratex will add a little to your cab (maybe 1/16"?) You will get a better fit that way. For handles, jack plate, feet, etc. you can do it before or after. Even if you paint over the holes, don't worry about it. You'll see where they are and be able to poke through. I wouldn't bother masking them off at all.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I vote for a nice round over job on the edges, multiple coats of duratex, no plastic corner stackers corners but nice large rubber feet.

8. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Thanks for the guidance, fellas.

I've got metal corners, large rubber feet and side handles. Not sure what I'll get for grills. I really don't like the metal circle grills, they look cheesy and homemade to me.

I'll do some before & after pics this weekend.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Reliablehardware.com is a good place for grills.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  11. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio