1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question for EHX Microsynth owners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, May 4, 2010.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Do any of you use it as a fuzz/distortion? I'm especially interested in what sound it would produce using the -1 octave combined with the square wave.

2. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    I had one for years and yes sometimes I used it for distortion.
    The tonal posibilities are almost endless, but don't expect it to sound like an overdrive. The square wave will always have a "synthy" kind of sound (at least to me it did).

3. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I love synthy :bassist:

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    To me the square wave slider sounds more like a muff than it does "synthy".

No I don't ever use it for distortion, I have other pedals for that.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Certainly not 'synthy'...kind of poopiee without a phaser afterwards. Certainly not as dynamic as I was hoping for. I often blended it in but not much more than the first line.

On its own...not so hot. Blended with the clean signal? pretty usable!

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I usually kept the square wave pretty low when I owned one. I found it too nasally, but when it drove a big muff it sounded much better...then when adding in the -1 octave, it was definitely better. I wouldn't suggest the BMS alone. It really needs "something else" paired up with it.

7. The sound you describe is an interesting sound but it would never replace a good fuzz box.

8. I disagree 100%, respectfully, of course. The square wave is very synthy and actually sounds quite good. I've done exactly what the OP is trying to and it worked out pretty well. Like someone else said, it will not replace or even imitate an overdrive/distortion but it rather it has a character all its own. The BMS is most at home being a synth and not a part of a synth (a gated fuzz in this case) but it can do the job decently. I'd recommend doing this if you really want what the BMS has to offer but don't have the cash for it and a separate fuzz but if you've got the cash for a good gated fuzz find yourself a Brown Dog or Wooly Mammoth clone.

9. I use the sqaure wave a lot. Especially with the -1 ocatve and guitar voices set to max, then set the filter to sweep with start on lowest setting and finish on highest, then set the sweep rate to highest. This produces a lovely phat signal that degenerates into a nasally synth fuzz - delicious!

IMO the EHX BMS (old steel case) is one of THE great pedals of all time.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It's a great gated fuzz tone. I use it a lot.

11. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I absolutely love the distortion/fuzz out of this pedal. This pedal can do anything if you have the time to tweak it right. It can produce percussive tones, synth tone, organic sounding distortion, fuzz..... For more extreme tone, I also like to put a distortion pedal in front of it (Big Muff PI bass or Hematoma). I particularly love the square wave. Very few pedals sound like this in my experience and that's one of the reason I bought the EH Microsynth. Altogether it has an amazing tone and it opens more sound options than any other pedals I have tried.

If you get one, read the manual first. It requires a special power supply (provided with the pedal). Using a generic power supply can damage this unit.

12. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I need to try this pedal...can you post your fuzz/dirt settings so I can try them when I go to my local mom & pop?
    And if anyone posts some soundclips I promise that, if they come to Spain, I will invite them to a couple of beers and some paella :p

13. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Search www.youtube.com for videos and the TB Effects Wiki for soundclips http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Effects_Clip_Database#EHX.

Don't worry about settings too much. Just play around with it for 10 minutes and give up on it. It is also 'touch sensitive' in some settings, so depending on how hard you hit the strings, sounds will vary.

I suggest trying the suboctave at 10, dry at 5, square wave at 5, attack at 0, start at 0, and stop at 10. Adjust and have fun from there.

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Kwesi, if you're reading this, it's fairly apparent from your posts that you're pretty respectful...and while I appreciate the good vibes, poke at me all you can (this goes for everybody).

The reason I suggested that it didn't sound synthy to me (I understand how people classify this as a synthy sound) is that on its own I couldn't get a musical tone out of it, so admittedly I strongarmed a subjective opinion as fact.

In that many synth voicings are meant to be shaped, this is no stranger to that concept.

If I were getting a big EHX box for fuzz I'd go for the Graphic Fuzz...that's just me.

15. Not at all. I respectfully disagree. I use the microsynth a whole lot without anything else. The bass line on "Kung Fu Guitar" currently on my band's myspace site in my sig used the Microsynth pretty much direct in. We recorded it direct line into a a good preamp, and had a plug in compression on it, and that was it.

To the OP, the settings I used on the aforementioned song was like this:
    Trigger: 8
    Sub-Octave: 8
    Guitar: 0
    Octave: 5 or so
    Square Wave: 2 or 3
    Attack Delay: 0
    Resonance: 10
    Start Freq: 8
    Stop Freq: 4
    Rate: 4

During the breakdown in the middle of the song, I boosted the square wave up to about 8, put the Rate at 0, and toyed with Stop Frequency to get the wah-wah sounds.

However, if I really want a fuzz tone or distortion, I use a different pedal. The Microsynth isn't a distortion pedal, and shouldn't be used as such.

16. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I know it's not meant to be used as a dirt box. I was just curious because I'm starting an electronic/trance duo with a friend and I thought that instead of buying an octave pedal, a fuzz and another filter I could try to get away with just the microsynth and the pedals I currently own.

17. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Uberheist- I guess you didn't understand the the OP's post and my thread as I understood them...no worries!

Let me clarify. It sounded to me that he was asking about the bms' fuzz/dist to which I stated that alone it's meh and needs "something else" to go w/ it. You disagree about the square wave not needing something to sound good for fuzz/dist, but then you go on to say that you would use something else for a fuzz/dist tone. Could that be because it doesn't sound good on it's own and needs something else paired with it to sound "good"? ;) haha!

OP- yes, get the bms for a square wave and sweepy filter fir trance, etc. It is[/] good, just stack with a another fuzz when you want something more out of it.