Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a question for fender buffs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pierce, Feb 8, 2001.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    in the jan. edition of bp, on page 5, there is a pic of christian olde wolbers of fear factory. what kind of bass is he playing?

(bonus question: name all the basses on that page ;) )

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't have that issue of BP handy but I was picking up some gear I left at a club and they were moving in Kittie's and Fear Factory's gear. I saw a blonde Fender Jazz 5 string with pimped out block inlays.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Looks like a Fender Custom Shop bass to me.

5. It does look very similar to a Jazz 5string (5 inline tuners) but in an interview he said he'd had custom built versions of the Roscoe Beck 5string made with maple fretboards and one pickup, and I think that's one of them.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe it was a Beck. I didn't fondle it. My eyes were more on getting a cab up the ramp. Bruce would probably know. I think he has one.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-08-2001 at 01:05 PM]

7. Fender Will

Fender Will

Jan 2, 2001
    It is a Custom Shop 5, and he actually has several. They are loosely based on the Roscoe Beck design, but with block inlays, and 5 on one side tuners.

8. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i thought it was a beck at first, but the maple fb and single pup threw me. fender will, besides the 3 aforementioned dif's, what are the other changes to the beck?

anyway, its cool as hell. i want it.

btw, rb1, what were the names of those dub bass bands you mentioned to me a couple of monthes ago (i had trouble finding the thread). respond via email if you want. did you ever get any mp3's or a website together.

9. another difference is the output jack socket is on the side of the bass "where it's stronger", not on the scratchplate as with the original Roscoe Beck.

10. Sorry for dragging such an old thread like this one back into existence, but does anyone know what wood he uses for the bodies of his basses, particularly the natural one? I think it's alder but I'm not too sure.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    They are Fender Custom Shop basses.

Here is what is written about them in that issue:

"Wolbers spends most of his playing time on one of several custom Fender Precision/Jazz hybrid 5's and 4's. "They have big bodies and custom necks, with bigger headstocks, five tuners inline. I have an ash one, one with a birds eye maple neck, and another all black one. Four of them have just one pickup, a Bill Lawrence, with one volume knob--simple. Two have two pickups: a Bill Lawrence double humbucker in the back and a single Fender double J in the front, all wired together so if I turn up my volume everything is on." The fives are tuned either ADGCF or standard BEADG. He has one five reserved for GCFBflatEflat tuning, which requires a D'Addario custom set gauged .055, .075, .095, .120, .145. Wolbers also has a four tuned to CFBflatEflat."

That is all that is really said about them in that issue.