A question for herm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass7755, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey Herm. How ya doin' I have a 55-94 Dlx Quilt Maple
    w/3 tone burst. You worked for Dan... Do you have a
    Lakland? What do you have? Do you use it on gigs?
    I really like my Lakland. You have talked about other
    basses. I don't remember you saying you own a Lakland.
    I might have missed that post. I kind of remember you
    saying you have a J.O. sig. I could be wrong.

[Edited by Bass7755 on 01-18-2001 at 08:45 PM]
  2. Dan,

Yeah, I have a few Laklands (see my profile), and worked for Dan Lakin. Dan's a good guy, I have nothin but good things to say about Dan, and the way he's run his company. I no longer work for him because of other interests. Dan still allows me to take maple neck blanks that he's rejected. They make good table tops.

Being able to work for Dan was a bass player's (and woodworker's) dream come true. While I worked for him, I was able to make my own basses (on my lunches and off work hours), for the cost of the material. I learned how to make a solid body electric bass while I was there, and I had the incredible honor of working with Joe Osborn, and Bob Glaub on their respective signature basses, in addition to many other famous (some talented, some not so talented) bass players.

I usually play my 55-94 on gigs. It sounds great. Owning a string company gives me the opportunity to change strings frequently, so I only bring one bass to gigs (55-94), with extra strings, in case of emergency.

I own a JO signature bass that is signed by Joe.
    As well as a Bob Glaub sig bass that is signed by Bob.

I'm not surprised you love your 55-94 Dlx Quilt Maple. It's a fine instrument.

[Edited by Herm on 01-19-2001 at 09:53 AM]