1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question for homeowners.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RexNFX79, May 6, 2010.

1. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I bought my home about a year ago and had a termite inspection then which was clear. With spring in full swing now, I was wondering if I should get some type of treatment done to prevent future infestation. Does anyone pay for the treatments that the extermination companies offer? Are they worth the money?

2. In humid climates this is more of an issue than elsewhere. Just opinion: if the home is a few years old and you don't have a problem, then don't worry about it. You might also check records and see if there's any info about termite treatments when the house was built or by a past owner. OTOH, if you're in a neighborhood where every house except yours has had termite problems, then I'd get consider getting it done. Talk with your neighbors and see what you can find out.

IMO - and again, this is just opinion - unless it's a problem throughout your area, don't worry about it unless the problem develops.

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I live very near woods so I pay about $160.00 a year for an inspection and treatment if necessary. However, termites are only of the bugs that can attach your house. I have carpenter bees drilling holes in my soffits this year. :eyebrow: Mice were the problem over the winter. Lord knows what will be next. :meh:

4. I gladly pay for the annual contract. New Orleans (25 miles south) has much more of a problem, but I've seen them swarming in my neighborhood before. I've also worked on houses with a problem. The damage is unbelievable.

Mike

5. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    Where I live in SC is hot and humid most of the year, and termites can be a problem. How it works here is that a pest control company will treat a house when it is being constructed, and then inspect the house each year for evidence of termite activity. If the house sells, they will contract with the new owner to keep the coverage in place, and they should do an annual inspection of the home to verify that there is no termite activity. The annual inspection is critical, as the average homeowner will not find out about termite damage until it is pretty bad, and expensive. My annual contract is about $130 a year, and is a really good investment, as the inspections give me info on any problems found under the house, including moisture and rot conditions.

The termite letter you got for the mortgage only tells the bank that the house was OK when it was inspected, and may have nothing to say about whether or not the house has ever been treated. If your house has never been treated, then you should seriously consider spending the $1-2,000 to treat it and then get annual inspections. If you can't or don't need to get it treated, I would at the very least do the annual inspections, as they will alert you to any problems before they go on for an extended time.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The termites down there are so bad because they are a non-native species. GIs brought those termites back from the tropic after WW2.

7. Some pest control companies offer a contract that covers initial treatment, yearly inspection and treatment, if necessary, and will cover any damages done by tremites while the contract is in place. It worked for me in South Louisiana.

8. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Thanks for the input so far. I got the certification when I bought the house that there were no termites but it did say there was evidence of past treatment. I did also buy the stuff a Lowe's that you put in the ground and check periodically for termites. I'm just unsure if it's worth shelling out the money to have one of those treatments done. I heard that they can range from 500 from 1000 bucks.

9. Mine cost $160.

Mike

10. The best way to ensure that termites stay away from your home is to make sure that you do not have ANY wood to ground contact.
    They will not cross a metal or stone or concrete area to get to wood, so ensuring that any and all parts of your home do not have any ground to wood contact will really help.
    This info was given to me by a house inspector.
    Fishheadjoe

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I had a termite tube in my garage that came out of the seam at the base of the wall (concrete footing concrete floor) and went up 3 or 4 inches to where the drywall met the footing.

I believe a chemical treatment lasts a very long time. Once that crap is in the ground around the foundation, it stays there.

12. +1

Around here, we're told to look for the tubes coming up from the ground, up the exposed protion of the slab (4 inches or so) and into wooden siding.

Mike

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you live in an area where termites are prevalent, get the inspection & treatment.

14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    2 comments ....

My father had his house checked. The pest management proffesional told him that his house had been treated in the past... With a now banned product ... That works so well he will never have termites as they won't come near it ... ever.

I inquired and was told that it's not IF you'll get termites... it's when will you get them...

15. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE

Yeah, that's what I've always heard too. I think I'm gonna have a guy come take a look next week and we're going to discuss an action plan. I'm really not concerned that I have them now but as you say, often it's only a matter of time. Thanks for the input everybody. Who would have known I'd be discussing termites on a bass forum. Of course, basses are made of wood, so I guess it qualifies

16. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    no, it's not really as simple as 'not if, but when you get them', plenty of structures around for many decades with no termite infestations...and termites will indeed cross other materials to reach wood, they regularly climb grade beams and foundations to reach wood...wood contacting the ground is definitely an easier route and not a good thing though for a variety of reasons...try to keep landscape, both plants and soil, out of contact with the wood portions of your home

for peace of mind, go ahead with the treatment--but realize the bias of anyone offering treatment when providing the analysis as you determine whether you opt for annual inspections, ongoing treatment options...as mentioned, geography and to a greater extent, micro-local conditions will be a factor in your risk

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I pay about $200 a year for termite and wood bee control... Wood Bees are out of control this year!

18. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I've got some of those in one of my window frames. I've been dousing the holes with poison hoping to kill them. That is actually what got me thinking of getting my home treated for termites.

19. If there's no problem at present then I don't see any point in spending $1000 on treatment. At the current point I wouldn't have any treatment done, but if there's evidence of past treatment an annual inspection would be a good idea.

However, what KIND of past treatment? If the foundation has already been treated and there's no problem at present, then it absolutely makes no sense to treat it again.

And YES, termites can cross concrete and other non-wooden areas, but they're not fast - they have to build those protective tubes for shelter.

20. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE

The confirmation letter that I got when we were negotiating to buy the house said that the inspector saw signs of previous treatment. The trouble as I saw it, was that I don't know when that was. That stuff doesn't last forever right?