Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a question for John Turner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Hey John, I was looking at the Conklin webpage, and I thought of a question: You know those extended 36-fret fingerboards you have on some of ur basses? Well, when i was looking at the website, I thought the fretted notes high on the fretboard looked really tough to play in my eyes if you are playing a fretted bass (so little string space between frets). I am probably wrong, but are the 7 and 8-string fretlesses easier to play than the fretted ones for this reason? I was just curious.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the other way around, imo. the space between "in tune" and "out of tune" get's very very small high up the neck. with the frets there, it helps a great deal, but with the fretless it's pretty hairy unless you're very careful.

3. really? I never looked at it that way, that's interesting. The range on a 8-string with a 36 fret fingerboard has gotta be insane. Let's see, from the low F# to 3 octaves above the high E (i thought u said you tune it F#BEADGBE, but i could be wrong)...that's...um...way too many notes and frequencies for me to calculate....i know the fundamental of the low F# is at 22 Hz, what is the high E at? Isnt like three hundread something? So that is like from 22 Hz to like ~2500 Hz (3 octaves = 8x frequency).....holy crap. And that's just the fundamentals!!!!!!!!!:eek:

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the range on mine is 70 notes. if i didn't use the guitar tuning on the top two string, but rather straight 4ths, i would be 71.

5. damn 70! thats only a couple notes less then a piano!

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, and my bass actually goes lower than a piano.
    :D

7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Oh yeah, well.....my piano goes higher than your bass, so :p

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, well, i can _wear_ my bass. so there.

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Remember the 80's? I CAN where my keyboard. ;)

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, but I don't recall a wearable 88-key controller. (I could be wrong.)

11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    It's perfectly possible!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But most of those midi keyboards controllers have transpose functions so you can shift octaves and have a much greater range beyond what you're actually looking at on the keyboard!

Is this the new "Ask John Turner forum" I have stumbled into? ;)

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, it is. don't make me ban you :D :D