Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question for Ken Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 3, 2005.

1. You've built some 7 string basses- would/will you ever do a bass w/more than 7 strings?

2. Whaddya got a job or something?

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Actually, I am doing a local production of the Broadway Show 'Carabet' june/july for 5 weeks.

So yes.. I have a Job or two...

And No, I have no plan to make more than a 7-String. I made my living on 4-string. So has about 99% of the Pro Bass force. But, 5 & 6 is IN now for modern R&B, Jazz, Solo Bass, etc.. I still play only 4 with the exception of 5-string Double Bass for the occassional need in the Symphony.

Oh, and my 9-5er at you know where!

4. Thanks Ken I am keeping my eye out for another Smith 4 like I used to have - One of the few I wish I had never sold!!!

Peace,

T

5. And work hard. I great sense potential in you. ;)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ken, where is the production taking place? I might choose to stop by. Great show you're doing.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    The Show is playing at the Montgomery Theatre in Souderton, Pa. It is north of Philly and south of Allentown. It's about 10 minutes from my shop or home depending on where I leave from.

We have 4 shows this week, thurs-Sun. and 5 shows next week, wed-sat with 2 shows that last day on the 16th.

I am using my 7/8 Shen in the Pit. Too tight for one of my better Basses but the Shen has a cleaner Pizz tone being the other Bass are so Dark sounding Orchestral Basses as well.

The Shows have been 95-100+% filled as I saw some people standing and sitting on the rear isle steps a couple of times. Tickets are a fraction of B'way in NY and parking is free!

Thx for asking....

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yoda, you are being? ;)

9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Afraid you will be....you will be.

I always think of KS Basses being 5 and 6 styring basses. I guess it is just what I am used too. The first Smith I ever saw was Patitucci's 6 that he used with Chick in 85 I think.

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Kudos to you Mr. Smith.
    I just want to throw in a compliment.

I was at Creation this week. It is a 5 day long christian music festival in mount union PA. The bass player from a band called Starfield was playing a Smith 5 string. The tone was unbelievable and it was also visually stunning. EASILY the best sounding bass there. Low, Loud, clear and clean. Keep up the good work. You have just started a saga in my life that will end with me purchasing a Smith 5 stringer!

Thanks,
    danman
    fellow Pennsylvanian.

11. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    I saw a Patitucci vid recently. His Smith six sounded off the hook! Huge GAS for one at the moment!

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Patitucci's Ken Smith sounded MUCH better recorded than the Yamaha signature models he switched to . . . just my opinion . . . ;)

13. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Well, I have a Yamaha TRB6P so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to agree with that.......:)

14. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    We do not PAY people to use our Basses. Actually, people pay us! JP paid for his Bass just like Stanley, Anthony, Melvin, Freddy and all the others did for theirs..

I don't play those games. We make the real deal.. Not the Copies!!

15. A massive +1 on that. John is one of my favorite players, but his 6 string electric sound is so thin now compared to what it used to be (and I'm not even a big KS fan).