Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question for the Mac-heads......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davehenning, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My G3 blue 'n white tower is starting to show it's age and I am looking to get a G4 Powerbook soon. Mostly for music applications.(logic, mp3s, etc) I have messed around with a couple over the last few months in some shops, but could not really get a good feel for them.

How has your experience been with it? Good/bad? Would you suggest getting one? Any pros or cons I should know about?

I also wanted to know what is the difference between the SuperDrive and the regular drive.?
    (please excuse my ignorance!)

thanks in advance.

2. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks a million WR.

I have been looking at the 1GHZ G4 models. I am sure if they have the back-lit thing going on.

I found the G4 brand new for $1999.(sans superdrive) Anyone know of a better deal, please let me know.

I have heard about the heat thing as well. Does it effect preformance? Is the fan noisy or loud?

ANd what about hook ups for audio ins/outs? Firewire?

thanks

3. I knew W.R Was gonna get into this...:meh: ;)

*punches stomach* Mac Sucks! PC Rules! :)

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Too funny.....

I am writing this post on my PC laptop. My 2nd one. This one has been giving me nothing but headaches. I am going back to Mac. :p

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a Tibook (15 inch 1ghz) that I got in January of this year. I fell in love with it the day I picked it up and have never looked back. Who needs a girlfriend when you have a powerbook? Wait, did I just say that out loud? :D

For mp3's iTunes is unbeatable.

The superdrive in the powerbooks is capable of burning DVD-R's at 2x and CD-R's at 16x, but the firmware that is installed with them limits them to 1x DVD-R and 8x CD-R. (Can't remember what it burns CD-RW at). If you snoop around on the net you can find a firmware update that lets you burn at 2x DVD-R and 16x CD-R, plus burn DVD-RW's. This firmware update is not supported by apple and no doubt voids the warranty on your superdrive. I believe apple limits the speed of the superdrive in powerbooks for heat reasons, though I'm not sure.

When both of the fans on my TiBook are on it can get a little noisy, but they only turn on when running processor intensive tasks for more than a couple minutes (i.e. running SETI@home. Yes I am a dork). I don't know about the new Aluminum 15" PB's, but my brother has a 12" one and he says it is whisper quiet.

Apple says the battery life on my powerbook is 5 hours, but realistically I get about 4 hours per charge under normal use, which is just as good as anything else comparable in performance and size.

The only downside of my powerbook is the wireless (Airport) range is not as good as what you'd get on an iBook or a PC laptop because the metal casing interferes with the signal. If you really need all the range you can get there are some solutions including getting a 3rd party wireless card that fits in the PC card slot for $50 or getting an external antenna for around the same price. Again, I don't know if this issue has been dealt with on the new Aluminum powerbooks.

For more info you can check out the apple discussion boards at

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

click on the "powerbook" link.
    Keep in mind that the discussion boards are heavily biased toward the negative, since only the people who have problems post on it. People who are happy with their powerbooks have no reason to post.

Apple regulates the prices on it's hardware, so anywhere you go you will get the same price. The only exception is if you can get a student discount. When I bought my powerbook the average savings with the student discount was $300. I had to pay tax since I bought it through my school but still ended up saving close to $200 off the regular price.

In the nine months that I have had my powerbook I have had a total of zero problems with it. It also makes me look way cooler than I really am when I take it to the library or class. It's an absolute dream to use and I would heartily recommend one to anybody who is considering one.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I wouldn't call them "problems". They are more "nitpicks".
    That is nice to hear
    I wonder if apple is going to issue a firmware update for the TiBooks.

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks again WR and Phat.

I am really liking the 15" more and more.

The iTunes feature is turning into a big selling point for me. I have almost 3000 cds and the idea of storing them in digital format to prevent scratching & general damage is very appealing.