1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question for the Markbass community

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cadet, Aug 29, 2008.

1. cadet

cadet

Aug 12, 2008
    Eugene, OR
    Hi all,

Do me a favor: next time you're wired into your LMII or combo driven by that head, let a nice low E or low B ring out, and roll the gain up and down a bit. Do you get noise?

My gain pot is completely silent when it gets moved and there's no signal, even with the volume well up. So it doesn't sound to me like other dirty pots I've come across. But if I have signal going through the amp, it's pretty noisy and scratchy.

It's not a clipping sort of noise, it happens well below any sort of threshold along those lines. And it's not just in one portion of the range, it's pretty even across the throw of the dial.

I'm wondering if other amps are the same. I'm also wondering if it's something I should have looked at. Of course, I can solve it for playing: I'll set the gain and leave it! But I'm still under warranty, and if something like this is a possible precursor to other trouble, I'd rather sort it out now.

Thanks tons!

2. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Mine does the same thing, but I never move my gain anymore so I don't see it as a problem. I thought it was just a dirty pot, but now that you've got the same thing going on, it does have me wondering.

3. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    There might be a very slight noise there, but when there's a signal, it's so faint I can barely hear it. And as Phat Daddy said, I rarely move the gain pot anyway.

4. cadet

cadet

Aug 12, 2008
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the replies. Knowing it's not unique to my amp, I'm less inclined to think it's a problem.

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Got that too. mmmm, guess I wont bring it in for a cleanup after all.